Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Proverbs 19 : 15-16 Lending to the Lord

Pro 19:15  Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.
Pro 19:16  He that keepeth the commandment keepeth his own soul; but he that despiseth his ways shall die.
Pro 19:17  He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.
Remember the old film short that showed a lazy grasshopper, lolling about in the summer, while the ants busily laid up stores for the winter? Later in the short, you saw the grasshopper shivering in the cold, knocking on the ant's door, and asking for something to eat! Somehow I think that even a busy king like Solomon probably remembered being a child and watching those busy ants. This (verse 15) is one of several verses where he warns us about slothfulness.
In verse 16, Solomon cautions us to keep the commandments, and not to "despise" our ways. The study Bible I have notes that in this verse, despise is a synonym for scorn. Perhaps he is also cautioning us to value the good ways, the right paths, and the commandments.
The last verse reminds me of my grandma: she was always doing nice things for others, and when I was really small, she began teaching me that I should "cast my bread upon the waters" . . . in today's language I guess this would be "what goes around comes around" or even "paying it forward."
This is indeed yet another way of phrasing this "law" or concept that can bring blessings. Many people embody this in their lives. They are generous to those less fortunate -- they are team players -- they don't seek credit, but are happy for all to be enriched.
There is definitely a time to sow, and a time to reap. Many people think that you can do both at the same time. However, you can't be sure when or from where you will reap --- but it will happen. More than likely, the same person to whom you give, will not be the person who will repay your kindness. But God takes what we sow, and multiplies it into abundance. So, cheerfully do all that's in your power to lift, to build, to serve and help others from morning until night. You never know when or how your blessings will return, but you know it's a promise from Him.          

1 comment:

  1. HOW in the world can we ever OUT GIVE GOD??? We can't!!!

    I struggle all the time with doing something for others less fortunate because I have empathy and sypathy, and I don't want to be the Rich Young Ruler who does not make it to the comfort of Abraham's bosom! Well...you know what I mean!

    I have more than I could ever use up in a life time, and I try to give my extra coats to the poor, and I try to do small things that might tell someone they are loved by me, and mostly by God if it is a charity! All things are up to God anyways.

    As I get older, and am not working outside the home now, I know that I can pray more, I can make things for the needy more, and I can write more letters of encouragment. This I pray is what will keep me from being slothful! I try to serve my husband, married children and grandchildren by being available and encouraging to them on a daily basis! YET, I know that it is only the things done out of love and devotion to my LORD and to what He has given me that counts for eternity!!!

    I once had a vision/dream/EXPERIENCE that seemed real...where I died and went up above my body one night, and I saw my husband asleep, my children each in their perspective homes (because as I went up with a Being/angel I could see those I loved asleep in their beds. They were unaware that I was leaving earth, and would not be returning. I was sad for their heartache that I knew they would experience, but what I was the most sad about was, "HAD I LEFT LOVE ON THE EARTH???" I knew I loved my family and friends, so I don't know why I was so concerned about this question...but I told the Being that was taking me up higher and higher, "I HAVE TO GO BACK AND LEAVE LOVE ON THE EARTH!" After all these years, (it happened in 2003) I believe what I had to do was leave Christ's LOVE in as many hearts as I could by being Faithful to Christ's LOVE myself!!! After I do that, I LEAVE ALL THE RESULTS TO HIM to work out in their lives!

    Anyways, a truly slothful person is unappreciative of what God has given them, and if we look to the Author and Finisher of our Faith we are not slothful, but living a life of HOPE AND JOY in Christ Alone!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.