Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Proverbs 30:24-28 Little things, Part V

24 “Four things on earth are small,
    yet they are extremely wise:
25 Ants are creatures of little strength,
    yet they store up their food in the summer;
26 hyraxes are creatures of little power,
    yet they make their home in the crags;
27 locusts have no king,
    yet they advance together in ranks;
28 a lizard can be caught with the hand,
    yet it is found in kings’ palaces.


We've been studying the hyrax from verse 26, and we mentioned that they instinctively know they are not powerful or strong, so they go to the rocks for shelter and safety.
The hyrax is not ashamed to know that he needs a power greater than himself. We, too, should welcome the chance to admit that we need a Power greater than ourselves.
It's very tempting to have an "I can do it myself" attitude . . . but in reality, we need God!

Do we have a hiding place in the Father? What do we do when Satan pursues us? Do we try to go it alone? Oh, that is a recipe for failure! Do we depend on human intelligence and knowledge? Why not turn to the One who knows all?  Why not call to Him, as the psalmist did:
Psalm 61:2 “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” 
When you may travel to another city and stay in a hotel or inn there, do you look on the door of your own room, to see the fire escape plan? It is always pictured there, with a nice big arrow that shows you where you are. You can tell the evacuation route; it's the route you need to know in case there is a fire. It's not very probable that there will be a fire, but it's awfully important to know, just in case a fire breaks out. The plan needs to be in place.
Whether it is from situations or from Satan, we need to have a plan of escape, too. What is our escape? Is it in a bottle or pill bottle? Is it the television? Our friends?
Or is it our prayer closet?
Matthew 6:6 “when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” 
I'd like to challenge all of us today in our private time with our Father, to read Psalm 91, and then earnestly pray. I believe we will be changed when we are done. 

2 comments:

  1. Once again you have hit the mark, Snoodles. Love the verses and Ps 91. My fleshly instinct is to run to the temporal things to help me through bad times and often I do to my shame. These will not ultimately sustain. It is only The Lord God who will keep and save us! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps 91 is such a beautiful and comforting passage. I need to print it out and read it daily to remind myself where to go when things get a bit dicey. :) Thanks Jacque!!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.