Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Verses that inspire



Are you glad, as I am, that we have reminders in our Bible of the fact that God is listening? Watching? Attentive? Just as surely as the force of gravity, our prayers are heard; more reliably than communications over a satellite!
Then I said:Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. (Nehemiah 1:5-6a)
I don't know about you, but I find Nehemiah's whole prayer very inspiring. And these verses we have highlighted above are especially comforting. He reminds himself as he prays that God is faithful and loving to those who love Him and keep His commandments.
Nehemiah would have been very familiar with this verse in Deuteronomy:
Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments. (Deuteronomy 7:9)
And he would have known well this verse in the Psalms, too:
Your love, Lord, reaches to the heavens,
    your faithfulness to the skies. (Psalm 36:5)
He also reminds himself (and us) that God's ears are always attentive to the prayers of believers, and that His eyes are open -- He sees our plight and the obstacles we are facing.
but God has surely listened    and has heard my prayer. (Psalm 66:19)
As for me, I call to God,
    and the Lord saves me.
17 Evening, morning and noon
    I cry out in distress,
    and he hears my voice. (Psalm 55:16-17)
In the New Testament, we are reminded again:
He listens to the godly person who does his will. (John 9:31b)
These are inspiring verses of the faithfulness of our God, and the care that He constantly shows to us. I hope you will leave a comment if you've read some verses that have inspired you recently; and share them with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.