Monday, September 6, 2021

Relief from depression

 


Let me preface this week's posts with a personal note, please. I don't offer these posts as a "be all, end all" solution for depression. As someone who has worked and prayed with depressed believers, I'm well aware that depression can have many different causes. We've talked about some of these; we've touched on the fact that sometimes there is a chemical imbalance that needs to be addressed. I know that some Christians regard modern drugs for depression as "crutches," but I disagree. I do believe, however, that there are some instances of once a person is able to become more stable, the medications can be carefully reduced, if not eliminated. 

It's my belief that when we are depressed, our main need is to seek God Himself, not just relief. Depression saps our strength. It drains our will. But if we can hang on to the thoughts of our Father God and our need for Him, we will be able to keep breathing. Sometimes it's hard to just do that. Am I right?

When we are in emotional pain, we can try to look at our situation as an opportunity to seek God. The psalmist was in tremendous pain. But as he began psalm 42, he says he realizes that his real need was not for relief or rescue, but for God. (The relief and rescue will come from Him.)

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, my God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God? (Psalm 42:1-2)

In emotional turmoil, or in the silence of depression that envelops us after the turmoil, we can hope in Him. The psalmist knew God personally before this trial hit him. In both of our focus psalms (42 and 43), he calls God "my God," "the God of my life," "my rock," and more. This says something important to me: it says that the godly can feel depressed. That believers can fall into deep depression. 

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
    a stronghold in times of trouble. (Psalm 9:9)

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)

Brokenhearted? Oppressed? Crushed in spirit? Yes.

It can happen to believers, too.

But our passage also tells us that the time to prepare for crises is before they hit. The psalmist had spent much time with God before this happened. He knew God as his own, his personal God. In Psalm 43 he calls God his "stronghold," his "joy," and his "delight."

Then I will go to the altar of God,
    to God, my joy and my delight.
I will praise you with the lyre,
    O God, my God. (Psalm 43:4)
This was how he could say he had a refuge -- he had a familiar relationship to turn to, in his time of despair. He calls to his own memory the joyful times that he joined in the festivals and temple worship. He thirsts for God and the opportunity to worship Him. Depression can increase our thirst for God. Suffering can drive us closer in dependence upon Him. Our need when we suffer from depression is that real relationship with our living God. We can hope in Him, for He is our help.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29)

Depressed? Crushed in spirit? Thirsting for God? He promises to be with us. And give us rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.