Tuesday, September 1, 2015

What are we listening to?


We've talked about how important it can be for us to surround ourselves with positive, uplifting music, and to "make melody" ourselves.

Sometimes that comes easily, when we have received an answer to prayer and we are joyful. Sometimes it takes real work, when we are concerned about someone or something.
(Personal note, here, bear with me, please: a big thank you to everyone who joined me in prayer for our son. We just had a phone call from him yesterday -- he passed the bar and is a bona fide attorney now! He's been through so much, and I prayed that not only would he have a clear mind to answer the test questions, but I also prayed for the folks who "graded" the papers.....the essay questions are graded subjectively, and I hoped that they found his answers clear, concise, and to the point.....and they did! Praise the Lord!)

Have you ever paused to read and consider some of the words in our Christian hymns and songs? There is a great deal of theology and positivity included in some of these . . .  sometimes we sing songs and pay very little attention to the words we are forming -- we know the songs so well that we don't think much about the words.

Recently I was lifted up by an old hymn and I'd like to post the words here for you all; I hope that they will bless your hearts as they did mine.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgement throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

What are you listening to today?

1 comment:

  1. Those words are just wonderful for today. Thank you, Jacque!
    Thanks to the Lord for answered prayer for your son! That is so very encouraging! Caro xx

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.