Monday, December 23, 2019

Merry Christmas to all!


I'll keep it short today; I'm usually pretty verbose, so I expect what I just heard was a sigh of relief from my readers. (Grin)

This time of year, many people gather the family and watch favorite movies. Some watch solo. But we all have our favorite ones for the Christmas season.
One adores "A Christmas Story."
Someone else likes "Home Alone."
Many people, myself included, think it's just not Christmas without watching "It's a Wonderful Life," with kleenex box in hand.

BUT.
My all time favorite is one that you may not have seen. Maybe haven't heard of.
It's old.
Like me.
(Grin)
It's called "The Bishop's Wife," and it stars David Niven as an Episcopal church leader, and Loretta Young as his sweet and helpful soulmate. Cary Grant is the angel who comes into their lives as a result of a wishful prayer uttered by Niven's character.
The bishop and his wife have lost some of the joy and the meaning of Christmas. The bishop, especially, has fallen prey to the material, and to a bit of ambition, as well. The days that follow the arrival of his "assistant," the angel, reveal a lot about the characters, our world, and our daily lives. Many years after the release of the film, our world still has the same issues, and it's the same solution that would help us all.

At the end of the movie, Niven's character reads a sermon that his "assistant" has prepared. It's always been super-meaningful to me, and I share it here in the hopes that it will be thought-provoking to all who pause here.

Tonight, I want to tell you the story of an empty stocking.

Once upon a midnight clear, there was a child's cry, a blazing star hung over a stable, and wise men came with birthday gifts. We haven't forgotten that night down the centuries. We celebrate it with stars on Christmas trees, with the sound of bells, and with gifts.

But especially with gifts. You give me a book; I give you a tie. Aunt Martha has always wanted an orange squeezer and Uncle Henry can do with a new pipe. For we forget nobody, adult or child. All the stockings are filled, all that is, except one. And we have even forgotten to hang it up. The stocking for the Child born in a manger. It’s His birthday we're celebrating. Don't let us ever forget that.

Let us ask ourselves what He would wish for most. And then, let each put in his share, loving kindness, warm hearts, and a stretched-out hand of tolerance. All the shining gifts that make peace on earth.

I'm wishing for all who study here a warm, peaceful, contented Christmas. I pray God's blessings for us all, and I hope to see you back here next week!

Merry Christmas!


2 comments:

  1. My mother used to love that film too!! Merry Christmas to you and all who stop here every day! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas dear friend. And Merry Christmas to our fellow studiers here in this place of Truth.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.