Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Watching for an answer


The scholars tell us that this psalm falls into two halves. The first is verses one through seven, and the remainder of the psalm, eight through twelve, is the second half. I guess some would say that David is repeating himself -- to me, that just means what he had to say was important, so he said it for us twice! (Grin)

I'm looking at one of the most familiar verses in this psalm, verse eleven, and seeing the words "take refuge." We often say this. We may often think about it. How do we actually do it?

But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
    let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
    that those who love your name may rejoice in you. (Psalm 5:11)

Remember with me that David was under attack, here. People were saying truly awful, slanderous things about him. What do we usually do when this happens? What is our first honest, unadulterated, no-cleaning-this-up-so-people-won't-think-bad-of-me . . . To be quite honest myself, I think we all probably have the same response, at least in the first few seconds! 

We want to fight back!

In fact, while that person is saying their hurtful words, we are probably only listening with one half of our brain, and the other half is coming up with something mean to say right back at them! If they are insulting us, we are working on something insulting to say to them. If they are hurtful, we are dredging up something from the past that would hurt them right back. We come up with something and we barely even wait for them to pause to catch their breath -- in that moment, we hurl our response in their face.

David didn't do that. 

He took his problem to God -- David knew that God would provide refuge, and that God would defend him.

 
Give ear to my words, O Lord,
Consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God,
For to You I pray. In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice;
In the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch. (v1-3)

This is not the prayer of a man who's been called upon to pray during the routine church service. These are not carefully chosen, politically correct words that are calculated to show the piety and strength and self-discipline of the one praying. Nope. This is brutally honest. He's not trying to show that he's got it all together. These are the honest cries and groans of a man in dire need. The Hebrew word translated "groaning" is only used one other time, and that is in Psalm 39 -- at that time, it's used to refer to silent or barely audible sounds. This is David's honest, heartfelt cry to God. He's not being the restrained, controlled royal, here. He is calling out to God in the midst of his pain.

David knew something that we should remember, too. God knows everything about us. It makes no sense to try to hide our feelings, or to (as my grandma used to say "put on airs"). Let's get real, folks. And then let's stay real. Psalm 62 tells us to "pour out" our "hearts before Him." 

God is our refuge. Pray honestly, even if it means groaning.

David shows us that prayer should not only be honest, but it should also be "up close and personal." In other words, it should be indicative of a close relationship. David addresses God as "my King" and "my God." He was not a stranger in the relationship; he called Him "Lord" or "Yahweh," which is the personal, covenant name for God. David was the anointed king, but he realized that he served under the true King of all. It's important for us to remember to come to prayer and remember He is the king of our lives. What a blessing to have a personal relationship with our Creator!

David mentions twice that he plans to pray "in the morning." In my mind's eye, I could see David waking, and the first thought in his head was about the enemies pursuing them - was he still hidden? Were all of his men alright? He immediately flipped those worried thoughts into prayer. When we wake, are our worries right there beside us? Instead of picking them up and rolling out of bed, let's pray about those trials! Some people are at their best in the mornings. More power to 'em! Me? I don't see how anyone can have a prayer time before at least one cup of coffee. (Grin) Whether it's in the morning or the evening, let's make certain we take refuge in the Lord in prayer.

The last thing I noticed about David's prayers is that he prays expecting an answer. Did you catch that in verse three? He says he will "eagerly watch." I looked it up, and it's the same word used in Habakkuk: 

I will stand on my guard post
And station myself on the rampart;
And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me,
And how I may reply when I am reproved. (Habakkuk 2:1)

We just recently finished our study of Nehemiah, and this makes me think of that. I see a guard, positioned in a good place on the "rampart" or wall -- high up so that he can keep watch. He can see who is coming and going long before they get close to the wall. Perhaps he is watching for the return of a messenger, bringing an important message. 

To apply this to our lives, I believe that when we pray, we should look for an answer. Our King will listen and respond to our needs. So, when we are under attack, we can take refuge in Him through prayer, and . . . watch for an answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.