Thursday, April 15, 2021

I'm scared -- part III


 Don'tcha love it in the movies when one character instructs another as they climb along a precipice, "Don't look down!"

Wait for it . . . . 

Yep, they always look down. (Grin)
The idea is that if you don't look down at the danger, you will be able to focus on the task at hand - you will be able to climb or do whatever is needed to escape the danger.

David had a moment like that in this psalm. He began by instructing us to affirm our faith in the Lord. To focus on His strength (not our own) and His beauty. But even David had moments when fear tried again to overtake him. His advice was to REFOCUS:

Hear, Lord, when I cry with my voice,
And be gracious to me and answer me.
 When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You,
I shall seek Your face, Lord.”
 Do not hide Your face from me,
Do not turn Your servant away in anger;
You have been my help;
Do not abandon me nor forsake me,
God of my salvation!
 For my father and my mother have forsaken me,
But the Lord will take me up.


Teach me Your way, Lord,

And lead me on a level path
Because of my enemies.
 Do not turn me over to the desire of my enemies,
For false witnesses have risen against me,
And the violent witness. (Psalm 27:7-12, NASB)

The tool he used to refocus his thoughts was prayer (verse 7).  You know, sometimes I think that we humans just don't pay attention to our absolute need of the Lord. We are truly and totally dependent upon Him. But many times, we either take things for granted, or perhaps are ignorant of the extent of our need. What happens? We get completely overwhelmed and THEN we realize, "Wow, if God doesn't come through for me, I'm toast!" That is actually true not just in times of crisis, but each and every day.

Are we like kids sometimes, and get bored with saying a blessing for food? Do we just go through the motions of prayer when we open our eyes in the morning? 

Here's the truth of the matter: if the Lord doesn't provide, we will starve.
And we are dependent upon Him for the next breath we take! Colossians 1:17 tells us that He holds all things together! Doesn't sound like there's any room for us to feel self-sufficient, does there? (Grin)
Our prayers are not just based on our need of Him; they are also based on His mercy. David asks the Lord to be gracious . . . . he doesn't say, answer my prayer because I'm such a great guy; I'm so much more spiritual than those guys opposing me." No, David actually asks the Lord not to turn away in anger because of his sin.
If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
    Lord, who could stand? (Psalm 130:3)
David also prayed expecting answers (again, look at verse seven). How many of us are tempted to give up on prayer? Especially when the answer has been delayed for months or years! 
David talks in the next couple of verses about prayer being a response to God's promises, and a way to seek God Himself - not just the answers we seek. Paul reminds us that God is merciful and invites us to ask:
Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Even if earthly relationships were to fail, we still have access to God; He will defend us:

Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me. (v 10)

And prayer is linked to our obedience - especially when we are in trials. David knew from experience (as many of us do, too) that it's easy to get out of line when we are under attack and panicked. When we are wronged, it's easy to revert to our sinful nature, and pursue retaliation (read that: revenge). Part of our prayers, then, when we are frightened about someone who has wronged us, should be to ask the Lord to teach us. To lead us on the right path, so that we know best how to handle our foes. 

God sometimes allows our trials in order to teach us to obey Him and follow Him on a deeper level. We might not know that deeper level if we didn't have to get through the trials. So, it's important to pray and ask Him to teach us His ways, just as David did.

Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations. (V. 11-12)

It's ok to look our fears in the eye when we have been confident in the Lord, but our fears return. We need to simply stare them down - and redirect our focus on the Lord in prayer!

I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears. (Psalm 34:4)

1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.