Monday, April 12, 2021

Psalm 27 - I'm scared!

 


Recently, we have been studying "aging gracefully."  Even thinking along those lines is enough to get some folks pretty frightened. They'd rather not think about it! 

What about us? 

Has someone that we know been very ill? Have they perhaps passed on into the arms of the Lord? Do we know someone who is enduring persecution? Insults? Humiliation? 

When that happens, do your aches and pains seem worse? Do you wonder when you wake in the morning if the scratchiness in your throat is sickness? Or just the dry heat in your house? Do you imagine bruises are skin changes, metabolism differences, lumps that defy your memory (did I bump into something or is that a cyst or tumor growing?)?  Do you begin to see persecution in every glance that is directed your way? Do you wonder about people's ulterior motives?

Human beings all have a special bone in their bodies. It's the scared bone. We sometimes imagine illnesses and slights. Sometimes they are real. It's easy to start imagining what could be wrong. And it's easy to get scared. . . . 

Our ole buddy, David, has some words of encouragement for us. He also shows us how to overcome fear.  In a nutshell: to overcome fear, seek the Lord. 

Ummmm, can I get a witness here? I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but this seems really, really simplistic. I face some super-sized, industrial-grade fears in my life. Is this for real?

Yup.

This is not just while-you're-in-the-pew, ivory-tower-style theology. Nope. David knew exactly what he was talking about. He had evil people gnashing their teeth and coming at him to devour his flesh (verse 2). They were snarling and breathing out violence against him (verse 12).  His enemies would have been happy-dancing in the cities and the countryside, if David's head had been removed from his body! It would not surprise me, after studying some of the people groups and their tactics, if the entire army that was encamped against him had that one aim in mind. Probably their leaders had motivated them with "pep talks" and part of those talks had been to tell them, "Whoever comes back with David's head on your pike gets an instant promotion to general, a fat purse of money, and a few dancing girls thrown in for good measure!" (Sorry, if that seems gross, but that's kinda how they did things back there . . . )

In spite of that, David is confident in verse three (and others):

Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident. (Psalm 27:3)

David knew fear.
It was a subject and a feeling that he was well-acquainted with. He says the answer is to seek the Lord.
Does it sound too easy? Too simple?
It's not. This is not a simple formula.
It's not a rabbit's foot type of thing. Not a charm, or an incantation.
God is not a genie's lamp that we pull out when we need Him and rub the lamp like mad.

David is talking about a total way of life that is focused on God and which clings to God with naked faith in desperately overwhelming situations where there is no other source of help. (Courtesy Steven J. Cole) 
I underlined that because I think it is really, really important. I'm indebted many times as I study to the many devoted pastors and preachers who post thoughts online. 
Go back and re-read that . . . . 
Now, let's read the entire Psalm:

The Lord is my light and my salvation
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?

 When the wicked advance against me
    to devour me,
it is my enemies and my foes
    who will stumble and fall.
 Though an army besiege me,
    my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
    even then I will be confident.

 One thing I ask from the Lord,
    this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of the Lord
    and to seek him in his temple.
 For in the day of trouble
    he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
    and set me high upon a rock.

 Then my head will be exalted
    above the enemies who surround me;
at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy;
    I will sing and make music to the Lord.

 Hear my voice when I call, Lord;
    be merciful to me and answer me.
 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!
    Your face, Lord, I will seek.
 Do not hide your face from me,
    do not turn your servant away in anger;
    you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
    God my Savior.
 Though my father and mother forsake me,
    the Lord will receive me.
 Teach me your way, Lord;
    lead me in a straight path
    because of my oppressors.
 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
    for false witnesses rise up against me,
    spouting malicious accusations.

 I remain confident of this:
    I will see the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living.
 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong and take heart
    and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27)

Have we struggled with fear before?

I think it's likely that we all have. Maybe we are struggling with fear right this minute. Maybe we've told that fear to get lost. We have called on the name of our Savior and told Satan he's all messed up and he needs to leave. Take that fear with him.

But here's the thing. Fear doesn't usually go away and stay away the first time we tell it to go . . . the devil sure doesn't give up that easily! And it kinda sounds like when David gets down to verse seven, he's experiencing some fear again. So he reaffirms his faith in the Lord. He reminds himself to wait. 

Don't you love practical advice? Especially because truly practical advice usually comes from someone who has been there! David is giving us practical advice in this psalm. 
We'll dig in deeper this week!

1 comment:

  1. I will be eager for each day. I have forwarded this to three women I care about.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.