Thursday, April 14, 2022

We must first know Him

 


Many years ago, when our middle child was only about six or seven years old, a Sunday School teacher said about him, "Those waters run deep." She was explaining that she was working to get acquainted with him, and that he was a very thoughtful child. It was going to take some time to get to really know him!

Our psalm (71) tells us that in order to walk with God, we must first know Him. 

And know Him well.

The psalm writer (whether it's David or not) had a deep personal understanding of the Lord. He says that even in his youth, he'd been taught about God:

Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
    and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. (v. 17)

He knew God as his refuge:

I have become a sign to many;
    you are my strong refuge. (v. 7)

And he knew Him as his Savior:

In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me;
    turn your ear to me and save me. (v. 2)

There are so many wonderful verses in this psalm! They reveal a very deep knowledge and an intimate relationship between the man and his God.

He calls God his rock, and his fortress:

Be my rock of refuge,
    to which I can always go;
give the command to save me,
    for you are my rock and my fortress. (v 3)

How could he say all of these things about God? Because over the years, the old man had seen the faithfulness of God.
He had seen the mighty deeds of God on his behalf; he had witnessed God's strength and power.
I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord;
    I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your mighty acts to all who are to come.  (verses 16 and 18)

Instead of being oblivious to the fact that it was God Who was in control and Who make things work for His purposes, the songwriter realized that it was God who allowed troubles sometimes, and it was always God who restored him:

Though you have made me see troubles,
    many and bitter,
    you will restore my life again;
from the depths of the earth
    you will again bring me up. (v. 20)

This was a man who knew God! He had proved to himself and others over the years that God was faithful. The result? In a time when he needed to trust and walk with God, there was no "Well, if you're up there, help me out!" He knew God in a personal, practical way.

Are we growing in our walk with Him? Are we spending time in His Word, getting to know Him? And then do we apply His Word to our problems? A fire extinguisher is a great tool and can save lives and assets. But if we have never read the label or considered how to use it, it won't do us much good. In the same way, we need to know our God as a faithful Friend and Helper, so that we can trust Him and have confidence in Him.

If we are learning that now, we too will know Him when the crises of old age come our way. That deep knowledge of Him will be the key.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful Psalm for us to read and take into ourselves. I just did.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.