Thursday, December 10, 2020

Applying Psalm 22 to our lives

 


How to apply this psalm to our lives?

Well, the message of Psalm 22 is clear: Christ suffered on the cross to provide us with our salvation. Because of His suffering and resurrection, we must praise Him and proclaim the gospel message to all nations.

How can I do that from where I am? Right here. Right now.

There are two important things for us to do. And I mean "do." Not just think about! 

First, I need to put the cross at the center of my walk with God. I need to focus daily on the cross. (Well, we all need to.) Why? Because when we focus on the cross, our hearts will be filled with joy and thankfulness for the priceless gift that God has given us! When I keep the cross in focus, I'm more aware of my own sinful nature, and so I don't trust myself -- I stay closer to Jesus. That helps me to resist temptation as I remember the price of my redemption......Jesus' blood. Then, I ask myself, how can I knowingly, rebelliously sin against the One Who loves me?

The second important thing to do is to emulate God's heart for the lost. To make it an action item each and every day, as I walk with Him.

For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but so that the world might be saved through Him. (John 3:17)

The closing verses of Psalm 22 said that God wants all the ends of the earth to turn to Him and to worship Him. That means that when I'm around other people, I need to actively focus on my testimony before them; am I living a godly life? Am I speaking a word for Him when the Spirit makes an opening? When I have a chance (and the financial resources) to contribute to a missions effort, do I cheerfully give?  If I'm not focused on spreading the gospel, I am WAY too self-absorbed. I need to retune my thoughts to be in line with God's purpose of being glorified in all the earth. His command is to go; His promise is that all the families of the nations will worship. 

But how can they worship if they have not heard?  How will they hear unless we give, send, and go? Missions is not just for SOME Christians. It's for EVERY Christian!

We started this study with tears in our eyes at the suffering of our Savior.

We end this study with joyful praise for God's deliverance and resurrection of our Savior. 

Praise the Lord with me, as we prepare for Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. I sent you a note...I loved this study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great and uplifting study. As always you make me think! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.