Monday, August 23, 2021

Psalms 42 and 43

 


We're actually digging into two psalms at one time, here. In many Hebrew manuscripts, these two are combined into one.

I'm going to post them here so that we can easily refer to them during our study. Ready?

 As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. 
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? 
3 My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” 
4 These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. 
5 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. 
6 My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar. 
7 Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. 
8 By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life. 
9 I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?” 
10 My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?” 

11 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
1 Vindicate me, my God, and plead my cause against an unfaithful nation. Rescue me from those who are deceitful and wicked. 
2 You are God my stronghold. Why have you rejected me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy? 
3 Send me your light and your faithful care, let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. 
4 Then I will go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God. 
5 Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

There is a common refrain there, no? Verses five and eleven in the first (psalm 42) and then again in verse five of the second (psalm 43), with varying verses of hope in between. Kinda like a roller coaster. Kinda like how we may feel many times in our lives. 

Scholars are divided on who actually wrote this one, although the title "of the sons of Korah" may indicate a group of Levites to whom he gave the psalm. The Levites, we remember, were in charge of the temple worship. We may not be certain of the author, but we can definitely read these psalms and see despair and loneliness in the words. Apparently, the author was pretty much exiled from his country of Israel and from the worship and festivals there. He was being taunted and oppressed by his enemies. 

All of these had caused him to slide into depression. 

Depression is a serious problem in our world, today. It's nothing to laugh at; it's nothing to dismiss casually. Whether mild or severe, depression affects more people than any other emotional disorder, and it can lead to self-esteem issues, self-harm, and suicide.

I've been close to someone afflicted with this problem. By the grace of God, that person is alive and doing well today. It's given me a desire to help others who struggle with depression each day of their lives. I hope that there will be something in our studies here in Psalms 42 and 43 that will help.

I believe that the Bible has something to say about our mental health, and that David has a plan that we can study and remember -- to deal with one of Satan's most powerful tools: depression. Please join me this week as we dig in.

1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.