Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Verses that inspire us


We find so many gems in the Word.

Many times we read verses that are very familiar to us, and the Spirit shows us new meanings, or He shows us a new way that we need to apply a verse to our lives.

What a blessing that can be!

Recently I was touched by this verse:

                      But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is
                     made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly
                     of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
                     (II Corinthians 2:9)

I was reading in my devotional book, and the thought for the day was truly convicting. Let's get real here, OK? I have a real problem with "letting go and letting God." Oy.

So often, I want to tell Him about a problem, and then get up from my knees and work and work and plan and manipulate, and solve the problem myself. I found that my heart was heavy as I read that verse and realized my sinful state. I was showing a lack of faith. What I needed to do was to hold my hand open, and let Him hold both my hand, and my problem.

What a difference it made to the state of my heart! I'm not saying He's done with me yet, for I am weak, and I will probably forget! But doing a better job of trusting Him to do what He has said He'll do . . . that made all the difference!

How about you?

Do you have this problem?

Or have you a verse to share, that has inspired you in a different area of your life?

2 comments:

  1. Being an over-responsible, don't-worry-I-can-fix-it type of personality, this is a struggle for me too. One of my favorite verses I seem to have paraphrased and not even sure where it's located in the Bible.... "we are to be 'in' this world, but not 'of' this world". This has helped keep me on track and keep my priorities in place in this world in which we live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I have that same problem, being a self sufficient independent type of gal.The type that thinks "I got myself into this and I'll get myself out of it" The type that says yes to doing things without even thinking about it, let alone asking God about whether or not I should, and then wonder why I'm feeling so overwhelmed with way too much to do. There's an internet Christian radio station that I listen to quite often, although I can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. It talks quite a bit about "intentional living"where the goal is to deliberately think things through, no matter what it is, from a scriptural perspective. This verse helps me do that:
    "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ" 2Cor 10:5
    It's the last part of that verse that especially holds me..... to take every thought captive, impossible;e to do from our human perspective, but attain;e, in some measure at least, with God's help.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.