Wednesday, January 3, 2018

New Year's practical advice



Last time we met, we talked about writing out a statement of purpose and a few goals....nothing overwhelming, but what we can handle, two at a time. (Grin)
Let's continue with our practical plans for 2018.

The next thing we should write down is that we are going to put in place a regular, daily time where we get into the Word and pray -- and part of that time we are going to devote to memorizing some scripture verses!
There are many verses that speak about this practice.
I have hidden your word in my heart    that I might not sin against you. (Psalm 119:11)
 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. (II Timothy 3:16-17)
Wow....teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training....but the scripture can't do those things if we are not regularly studying it!  Ever wish that when temptations or obstacles popped up, you were better prepared? We can't find a better example than that of Jesus....when He was tempted by Satan, He quoted from Deuteronomy in order to defeat him!
We are so blessed in this day of technology that amazes: we can read through the Bible, we can listen to it in our car, we can have apps on our phone....the list goes on. I've heard it said that to read through the Bible in one year, we need only spend fifteen to twenty minutes a day. Add some prayer time, and some memory verses, and you've invested thirty minutes in your relationship and growth in God. How many things in our day do we give more time than that? Ahem.
You may like to keep a notebook so that when a verse speaks to you, you can write it down. And for memory work? Repetition and review are the two keys that we need. Some folks find it helpful to write the verse down. Others are best helped by repeating them aloud. Whatever plan you implement, stick to it! God can't use His Word to keep us from sin if we don't know what it says!
And yes, prayer is a constant battle. How many times have we drifted off to sleep in the middle of our prayers? Being on our knees may help with that!! Another practical suggestion is to make a list and pray over it. Family members, friends, unsaved people, all of these are matters of prayer -- or they should be! And the fact that we are praying for them will help remind us to find opportunities to witness, too.

Thirdly, let's write down that we are going to work on developing godly character qualities. And let's be honest and note the areas where we are weak.  A good place to start is the fruit of the Spirit:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:22-26)
I like that after the fruit of the Spirit, Paul reminds us to be careful of pride. Here is another verse that means a great deal to me, and has helped me:
For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? (I Corinthians 4:7)
Next, we should get in the habit of reading solid Christian books that will help us grow spiritually. Not frothy, feel-good stuff. Remember what Paul asked of Timothy, when he was aged, and fragile, and confined in a Roman cell?
When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments. (II Timothy 4:13)
He wanted books!
But I don't have time to read!!! (See, I have super-sharp hearing, and I heard you say that....)
Calm down.
I understand; my time is limited too.
And I'm not talking about reading to the detriment of our special Bible study time, either!
It may be that we can sign up for an online course, or grab an audio book to listen to. You can choose a hold-it-in-your-hand book, of course, and then take it with you to wait for your turn at the doctor's office or the dentist. (Hey, I even read while I wait for the novacaine to kick in!) If you are waiting for someone who is shopping, or if you have a moment or two while you eat lunch..... it's possible! There are devotional books, books on doctrine, biographies of Christian folks, and more. I tend to stay away from fiction myself, because a lot of it seems to be fluff, and I want to be a good steward of my time!
This gives me an idea....I believe I will post a reading list on our blog to help. I don't have a lot of time myself, but I find a few minutes here and there, and before I know it, I've gone through several books in a year!
Good, solid books can help us grow spiritually.

We'll have more practical pointers for growth next time!!

2 comments:

  1. The delivery into my email box of my daily bible reading is really helping keeping on track with the daily reading. Also this year, I invested in a planner thing, to help with organization. It’s designed for creative people, rather than purely business people. It is goal and project based and helps with the process of taking a creative project from the idea stage to breaking it down into chunks to work on the project. So far, it is helping with reorganizing the way I think and plan for the essentials that need to be done for our business that is based on taking creative ideas and turning them into reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the ideas here. I have drifted off too many times while in my prayers in bed. Not during the day :-) but certainly many times at night. At least I have my thankfulness prayers well awake and many times a day. While driving, while walking , shopping , waiting, but at night...sometimes I just drift on off.

    I like the idea of writing a bit...as I have not memorized many verses. I know them and they come to me in enough fragmentary form I can find them but knowing the entire verse(s) is better.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.