Friday, May 10, 2019

Concluding thoughts on II Peter


Peter's final word to us is that to persevere as a believer, we should live to glorify Jesus.
To him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (II Peter 3:18b)
Peter finishes up with a statement of Jesus' deity, that makes it clear even to the Jewish people reading the letter. The Jewish people were raised in their faith and steeped in the knowledge that God will not share His glory with anyone. He is the first, and the last, and the only Almighty.
“I am the Lord; that is my name!    I will not yield my glory to another
    or my praise to idols." (Isaiah 42:8)
For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this.    How can I let myself be defamed?
    I will not yield my glory to another. (Isaiah 48:11)
Peter is ascribing glory to Jesus, so clearly, he is teaching that Jesus Christ is God. We may accept that readily, but it was a bit harder for the folks back then! Peter is reminding us that the overarching theme of our lives is to glorify God in everything we do. Why? Well, our aim in growing in grace and knowledge is not so we can feel better than others. Or so that we can be happier, or more fulfilled, or more significant than others. Although, of course, some of the results of our growth WILL be that we are happier and more fulfilled. It's just a different happiness and a different fulfillment than that of the world.....
Our lives should exalt our Savior -- so that through us, others can see how truly great our Savior is!
He must become greater; I must become less. (John 3:30, NIV)
When should we glorify Him? Now! And on until the day of eternity! We should praise and exalt Him in all that we do, not just on Sundays when we gather with others to worship. Throughout the week, as we think of His love and sacrifice for us, we should exalt Him again and again.  And some day when we are with Him in heaven, we will gather happily around the throne and sing:
In a loud voice they were saying:“Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,    to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength    and honor and glory and praise!” (Revelation 5:12, NIV)
Our Savior gave His life for us so that we could start and then finish the Christian life -- and finish it well. If we guard ourselves against spiritual errors, grow in grace and knowledge of Him, and live to glorify Him, we will indeed finish well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.