Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Prayer requests


We've talked a couple of times about things that stop us from having the best prayer life; often we allow things of this world to keep us from having that sweet time of communication with our Lord. I love the simple and cheerful way that little ones pray: they sometimes approach it with a totally different attitude than we do . . .

Why is that?
I believe that sometimes we don't pray (or we don't pray as we should) because we just don't believe anything will change.
Perhaps we have a feeling of hopelessness.
Are we consumed with thoughts of a broken relationship that seems too far gone to be mended?
Does the financial hole we are in keep getting deeper?
Is our health, or the health of a loved one, failing?

Persistent problems can be a prayer time killer. But we can solve this problem.
How?
Cling to His promises.
So many portions of Psalm 119 are familiar to us. It mentions the promises of God over a dozen times.
Remember your word to your servant,    for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this:    Your promise preserves my life. (v. 49-50)
I have sought your face with all my heart;    be gracious to me according to your promise. (v. 58)
May your unfailing love be my comfort,    according to your promise to your servant. (v. 76)
The psalmist is clinging to the promises of God; he is reminding God of His promises of unfailing love, graciousness, and preservation. In the middle of anxiousness, facing humiliation, uncertainty, and more, the psalmist takes heart in remembering the promises of God.

Are we feeling hopeless?
Like nothing will ever change? Things are not going to get better?
Sometimes it is hard to see what God is doing. Maybe we are starting to wonder if we've heard Him correctly. Our vision of the future is getting blurry, and we may think that nothing is going to change or get better.
To win this battle, we must hide scripture in our hearts that proclaims the good promises of God. In the times that we are most prone to despair and despondency, we can meditate on His Word.
He is with us wherever we go.
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:9)
He is not only our refuge, but He also fights for us.
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,    my God, in whom I trust.” (Psalm 91:1-2)
This is what the Lord says to you: ‘Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. (II Chronicles 20:15b)
His truth reminds us that He is with us; He will never leave us or turn away. He holds us in these uncertain times, and promises us His peace.
We will welcome the opportunity to pray with you for a request, or to rejoice with you for answered prayer. Leave a comment and join us in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.