Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Prayer time


Is anyone here as old as me? Anyone remember Wiley Coyote?
Wiley was the nemesis of the roadrunner in the old cartoons . . .
We were never sure if he wanted to cook the roadrunner for supper, or whether he just had a deep-seated animosity toward the whole roadrunner species, but he was constantly trying to catch or trap or flatten the speedy bird!

He apparently used "Acme Company" in much the same way that people use Amazon today -- he was always receiving just in time deliveries of the supplies that he needed for each of his schemes. Wiley could always be seen drawing up elaborate plans and then using glue, ropes, springs, and heavy objects (LOTS of heavy objects!) to set up a trap that the roadrunner would be unable to resist or avoid.
At the end of each cartoon, poor Wiley could be seen smushed under the crate, thrown against the wall, or hurtling through the air towards the ground. Often he would whip out a sign and look sadly into the camera: "HELP!"

Maybe Wiley was just a frustrated control nut. I guess we all like to feel like we are in control. Maybe the happy-go-lucky roadrunner, speeding joyfully along, irritated Wiley, who wanted everything to be just so. Organized. Running smoothly. In control.

Sometimes our own desire for control can be roadblock in our prayer life. We've talked about how today's technological toys (love that alliteration!) and our lack of consistency are obstacles to prayer.
Control can be, too. After all, prayer is a declaration of helplessness. It's like Wiley whipping out the little "HELP!" sign as he hurtles downward -- prayer is saying that we can't do anything to help ourselves. We are dependent on someone else: God.

There are people in this world that are so hung up on being strong that they equate helplessness with weakness. They are so freaked out about it that they won't pray. That's because, to a varying degree from person to person, inside each of us is a desire for control. Control is comfortable. Control is safe. But if we look at things truthfully, none of us have it, no matter how much we wish we did!
Look to the Lord and his strength;    seek his face always. (I Chronicles 16:11)
Prayer is a reminder to us that we are always dependent on our Father. And if we want to overcome the obstacle of control, we need to recognize His sovereignty over all things. We can trust Him to be that good father Who cares for us.
The more that we pray, the less we will seek control. II Chronicles 7:14 is a familiar verse - it tells us to humble ourselves and pray:
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (II Chronicles 7:14)
We can pray with the confidence that David spoke of:
I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;    turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. (Psalm 17:6)
I hope that if you have a prayer request or a praise that you will leave a comment. Let us have the honor of praying and rejoicing with you.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! The desire for control does stop us praying! We acknowledge our weakness when we pray. In all my years as a Christian I have never seen it quite like that before, or at least if I did I've conveniently forgotten! x

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.