Monday, August 17, 2020

Psalm 4, the evening psalm


The superscriptions (labels) say that the psalm we just studied, Psalm 3, and this one, too, were written in that troubled time when David was on the run from his rebellious son, Absalom. It was Absalom's goal to not only discredit his dad, and replace him as king, but to humiliate him as well. Like all kids seem to do, Absalom had moments when he just KNEW that he could do a better job than his old man. (Grin) 

Psalm 3 was nicknamed the "morning" psalm, and this one is considered to be the "evening" psalm. It's very familiar to many, especially the final verse, which is both a help and a hope to believers and insomniacs . . . . 

Let's read and re-read it today, and study it next time we meet, OK?
 Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer
 sons of menhow long will my honor become a reproach? How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deceptionSelah
 But know that the LORD has set apart the godly man for Himself; The LORD hears when I call to Him. 
Tremble, and do not sinMeditate in your heart upon your bed, and be stillSelah
 Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, And trust in the LORD
 Many are saying, "Who will show us any good?" Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O LORD
 You have put gladness in my heartMore than when their grain and new wine abound
In peace I will both lie down and sleep, For You alone, O LORD, make me to dwell in safety.
Amen!

1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.