Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Verses that inspire


Recently as I studied, this verse stood out to me:
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. (Colossians 2:6-7)
There are many sermons and analogies about Christian growth....I guess they make a lot of sense to folks like me who never strayed far from the countryside!

We've talked before about being rooted in Christ Jesus; taking strength and nourishment from Him each day, and growing stronger daily. Just like in the parable of the sower, we want to be the plants from seed sown on "good ground." No shallow roots here! No sprouting up and then falling away!
“Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it.Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. And when the sun rose, it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away.Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirty-fold and sixty-fold and a hundredfold.” And he said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.” (Mark 4:3-9)
I notice in Colossians that there is a "proof" of our being rooted, being strengthened, and growing.....it's overflowing. Specifically, overflowing with thankfulness!

I enjoy transplanting "volunteer" plants from my borders and garden. Some of these are from plants that propagate by dropping a stem to the ground, and then forming roots where the stem touches the soil. I must be careful which ones I decide to dig up: if I don't choose new plants that have a good root system, they will look fine for a week or two, but then their foliage will wither and turn brown. I know I've made a good choice when the plants put out beautiful green foliage in their new location.

Like the lush green leaves of a plant that is growing strong with a great root system, our lives should be lush with gratitude.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;    his love endures forever. (I Chronicles 16:34)
And whatever you do,whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (Colossians 3:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.