Friday, March 26, 2021

Aging beautifully

 


The last study on our aging gracefully series is this one: aging beautifully. That doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to pursue face lifts and other procedures, though some people do. I'm talking more about making sure that we look, sound, smell, well . . . . appealing. That we don't "turn people off."

Again, think what you may about this, but I have actually written myself some notes. I want to remember what I have learned over the years of caring for elderly relatives. At this point in our lives, you and I may look aghast at someone tenderly helping their loved one out of the car at the doctor's office or a restaurant, and realizing that they were either too rushed (or the elder resisted their efforts) to make certain that they were clean and carefully clothed. But it happens. Poor hygiene can result in minor body odor. Poor vision can result in stained clothes. Poor sanitary care can result in sickness and infections.

It's not rocket science. As people age, they can become depressed. Their memory plays tricks on them, and they truly believe that they did bathe yesterday. Their senses become dull and they don't pick up on the smells that we do. It can even be a problem of fear - have you ever looked at your bathroom as a senior would? Nothing but cold and hard, slick, injury-causing surfaces! They could simply be scared of their range of motion or their balance in a bathroom that seems destined to hurt them.

In my "notes to self," I've included things like taking care of bathing and of cleaning clothes. Of making certain that my eyeglasses are the correct strength. Of investing in hearing aids and batteries. I want to make sure that grandkids, neighbors, or church members find me clean, smelling good, smiling, and able to engage!

And it doesn't have to break the bank. 

I've known elderly ladies who are Thrift Store Meisters. Mavens of Adorable Apparel. Seriously. They get to the thrift store and they can put together classic outfits that make them look like the cutest ladies on the block -- for pennies on the dollar. That leaves more money for the hearing aids, batteries, and more!

Are we in the position of helping an elderly believer with daily life? Recruit the doctor if they resist our efforts to make sure they are bathed and dressed nicely. Use a little trickery and set up a special lunch that they have to "primp" for, and that will get the job done for cleaning and clean clothes! Is the problem the fear factor? Check those second hand stores for bath aids and shower chairs, hand-held shower heads and other things that will make bathing safer and more enjoyable. I don't think it's a bad thing to say that clothes require some mending or a button - and then bring them back nice and fresh and clean! 

As we age gracefully in Christ, we should make sure that we always are ready to tell others of the joy that He gives us. In spite of the trials of aging, and in spite of the onset of physical changes, we can focus on what lies ahead. We can share that we love Him, and that He loves us:

Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, (I Peter 1:8)

We can tell them why we have hope:

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, (I Peter 3:15)

We can age graciously, gratefully, with a mission, with the choices that we have studied over the last couple of weeks. We won't be perfect. No way. But we have the Bible to use as our template for these choices. We can obey its words in our quest to find godly maturity and influence those who come after us. This season of life is so special; it's a precious time that we are given opportunities to pour into other believers' lives the blessings and the lessons that we have learned. We can urge them to make the right choices in their own lives:

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, (Hebrews 10:24)

I have posted before that I hope I do leave a legacy. I hope that someday people will say that they saw something of my Lord in me. That would make me happy. And I think that it would please the Father. I definitely think it will have been worth the investment, and worth the choices that I made in order to age gracefully!

How about you? It doesn't matter how old we are right now . . .  Are we making choices that count for eternity?

1 comment:

  1. THIS was beauty of Word and word. I am saving it for passing along from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.