Monday, March 8, 2021

The "wrinkle cream" of a godly purpose

 

I would like to post one of our two "focus" passages again to refresh our memories; we are talking in these studies about aging gracefully, and the choices that we make in order to age beautifully in Christ.

you whom I have upheld since your birth,
    and have carried since you were born.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you. (Isaiah 46:3b-4, NIV)

The Spirit is telling me today to put forward some thoughts about our having a godly purpose. I'm sure that we all are familiar with the section in Titus 2, but I want to dig a little deeper here. What is our purpose as women? Do we have something that we can point to and say, "That's why I'm here!"? 

So often we are told a message of trusting God more, being more devoted to our Bible study, focusing on our prayer life . . . . and yes, those things ARE important!! But if we go a little deeper, have we thought about WHY we have the gifts God has given us? Have we considered WHY God has strategically placed us where He has? If we are believers, we have a mission. 
EVERY BELIEVER'S LIFE IS SIGNIFICANT FOR THE LORD.

Let's look back at the very first woman. Ready? Push aside the mists of time and turn to Genesis with me:

The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.” (Genesis 2:18)

Now, over the years, there have been debates, arguments, and possibly even fights about what that means. Some translations say "helper" and others say "helpmeet." People have argued about where this puts women in relation to men - equals? Subordinate? 

I don't want to open Pandora's box here. Don't want to argue. Instead, I'd like to tell you what the Spirit has blessed me with, and perhaps it may help you, too. 
I don't think the Hebrew word here means that the woman is to be simply an assistant; she doesn't stand there like a plumber or carpenter's assistant and hand the boss the correct tools . . . . the Hebrew word is "ezer." This particular word occurs more than twenty times in the Old Testament. Twice it refers to Eve, and three times it refers to powerful nations that Israel called on for help when in trouble. The remaining sixteen times it refers to God as our help.
Surprised?
Me, too. (That's why I'm so crazy about word studies and roots of words!)
As an "ezer," God comes alongside of us in our helplessness. This doesn't send me the message that the meaning is "servant," does it you? The meaning cannot possibly be "inferior." When I read this (as I have, again and again) the Spirit pointed out to me that the woman is to serve WITH the man. 
Then the light went on!
To be an "ezer" is to EMPOWER someone. 
The nations Israel called on were able to come alongside and empower the Hebrew people; they helped them to stand and stay firm.
God is our "ezer" when He protects us, and fights our battles, and comforts us in trouble.

Do we see a theme here? (Grin)
Our God-given purpose is that of empowering those around us. We women know there are battles to be fought, for our children, our spouses, and our friends and our churches. We KNOW we are warriors, with the men, not against them. We see examples in the scripture of women who were warriors and protectors; they fought to do the things God wanted them to do. They stood up for what was right, and they stood up for those whom they loved. This is what gives us a handle on our godly purpose.

We may not realize that we are being ezers. We may not see our role as "empower-ers." We're just doing the next thing that God has put in our path. We need to be aware that God has given us gifts, and that we are on a mission for Him -- as His image-bearers, we represent Him, and we speak for Him. We are His voice, His eyes, His ears, and His hands. 
Turn to another text with me, won't you?
Therefore, since we also have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let’s rid ourselves of every obstacle and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let’s run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2, NASB)
"The race that is set before us,"...... the race is already planned. The curves and turns and hills and valleys of this race are already marked out. Anything that I encounter along the way in my life may throw me off a bit; or I may make a poor decision; but my life is full of purpose. I'm on a mission. God knows my exact location on that race, and I will end up right where He wants me. I will go through many experiences that may seem hard, or scary, but they are to make me the "ezer" that can EMPOWER people in the way that God has planned.

There may be times that I need to show more courage. There may be times when I need to take a stand. There may be times when I need to be the first one to move and show compassion. Why? Well, not because I want to make a name for myself, or elbow others aside so I can be at the front -- but because there are kingdom issues at stake. There are people who need the empowerment that I can provide. Some big things are going on in our world, and I can be a small part of that!

We must arm ourselves for this battle -- it's not against people, but for them. We are called to be warriors for the kingdom and to represent our Father God in this world. How we speak and how we act can have huge significance, even though our corner of the world seems tiny. If what the Spirit has told us here is true, and we are "ezer" warriors, it is not possible for our lives to be insignificant. We may never have the importance that other mortals will recognize, but just look at Ruth, Naomi, and Anna that we recently mentioned. Huge things were going on in their tiny worlds. We never know. We might be the ones.

Many people quote Titus 2:3-5 as the purpose of our lives as older women. I agree that we need to fulfil the role and the responsibilities listed there. But when I read the verses that follow, I see that Paul didn't (at least in a way that I can easily observe) switch gears and go back to what the fellows need to be doing. It's pretty open ended:

Likewise urge the young men to be sensible; in all things show yourself to be an example of good deeds, with purity in doctrine, dignified, sound in speech which is beyond reproach, so that the opponent will be put to shame, having nothing bad to say about us.

Urge slaves to be subject to their own masters in everything, to be pleasing, not argumentative, 10 not stealing, but showing all good faith so that they will adorn the doctrine of God our Savior in every respect.

11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all people, 12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously, and in a godly manner in the present age, 13 looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, 14 who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, eager for good deeds.

15 These things speak and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. No one is to disregard you. (Titus 2:6-15, NASB)

The letter is written to a friend and co-minister of Paul: Titus, the leader of the church in Crete. Its foundational message in this passage would seem to place the responsibility to carry out these instructions not just in the hands of Titus, but also in the hands of the older men, older women, slaves, young people . . .  in effect, those verses are our responsibilities all of us have, as lights for Christ in this darkened world. 

Part of aging gracefully is for us to remember we have a purpose - a God-given purpose to empower others - and that's a "wrinkle cream" that will keep us spry and youthful! Let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.