Thursday, June 2, 2022

He is our refuge


For, behold, those who are far from You will perish;
You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You.
28 But as for me, the nearness of God is good for me;
I have made the Lord God my refuge,
So that I may tell of all Your works. (Psalm 73:27-28)

These are the final two verses of Psalm 73. 

Asaph is making his "summation," as the attorneys would say. He says that we should treasure God above all else because He has rescued us from the judgment - the destruction of those who are not faithful. He has allowed us to make our refuge in Him, so that we can tell of all His works.

He packed a lot into that summary!

Those far from God will perish.....

He will destroy the wicked.

He will repay them for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness; the LORD our God will destroy them. (Psalm 94:23)

They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might (II Thessalonians 1:9)

The nearness of God is good for us......

Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:8)

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. (John 10:27-28)

He is our refuge.

For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. (Psalm 27:5)

The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. (Proverbs 18:10)

We must tell others of His works.....

Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” (Mark 5:19)

Give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name;

make known His deeds among the nations. (Psalm 105:1)

God is our treasure above all else: He has rescued us from judgment, and He is our refuge. Surely we must tell others of all His blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.