Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Psalm 73, closing thoughts


Verse twenty-eight of our psalm makes me think of the wonderful hymn penned by Martin Luther in the days of the Reformation:

But as for me, it is good to be near God.
    I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
    I will tell of all your deeds. (Psalm 73:28, NIV)

Our Father God is a treasure to us. Being near Him is good for us. Here is the verse in another translation:

As for me, to be near God is my good,
    to make the Lord God my refuge..... (v. 28a, NASB)

This is a sharp contrast with those who are far from God. They will perish. Those near to God will find Him a refuge. As in the words of the hymn: a fortress.

A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing...

How can we draw near to God?

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you of two minds. (James 4:8)

Those who will treasure their sins and pleasures will not be comfortable in the bright, holy light of His presence:

For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come toward the light, so that his works might not be exposed. (John 3:20)

But those who have been cleansed through faith in Jesus' blood enjoy the nearness of God:

We have come to know and to believe in the love God has for us. God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him. (I John 4:16) 

Asaph says "I have made the Lord God my refuge." When we are under Satan's attacks and the enemies are pressing in, the most valuable place to be is in a place of refuge. That fortress. The enemy's arrows cannot hit us there. We are protected. We can rest there. A place of refuge is a life-saver; it's a treasure. God is our refuge, so we should treasure Him above all else. There's no need to take refuge in anything the world has to offer! The Lord God is our refuge, our fortress!

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
    who abide in the shade of the Almighty,
Say to the Lord, “My refuge and fortress,
    my God in whom I trust.” (Psalm 91:1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.