Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Intercessory prayer


This week as we join our hearts in prayer, let's pray for each other. Let's lift up each person who pauses here to read and study.

It's called intercessory prayer. Yep, I know, we have discussed this in previous posts . . . . 

God appreciates people who pray fervently for others who are facing trials. But why?

Intercessory prayer reflects our Father's own character of love and mercy. God encourages us to think like He does, and when we pray for others, it helps us to grow in compassion for them.

God instructs us to pray for others. In James, we are told that we should pray for others when sick. Paul tells us that we should pray for pastors and other church workers:

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Ephesians 6:18-20)

OK. I get that. I want to support the men and women working for the Lord. But the next thing? I don't know if I like this that Paul says:

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (I Timothy 2:1-4)

So, I need to pray for government leaders and others in power, who may not even know I exist . . . and I even need to pray for them when they act like my enemies!

But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, (Matthew 5:44) 

Jesus is our intercessor. He is our example. 
But let's clear up a common misconception: intercessory prayer is not a numbers game. God doesn't keep watching to see if we have five or ten or twenty people praying about a certain issue, in order for Him to intervene. 
And prayer is not like our signing a petition; if we "get enough signatures" we can expect results. Nope.

Our prayers don't force God to do anything. He can and He does act when the time is best. Also, our prayers don't "earn us points" with God. We can't save up so that when something difficult comes our way, we can pull our prayer points off the shelf and redeem them. (Grin) Our motivation should be unselfish love.

Prayer is a vital part of our communication with our loving God. How can we pray more effectively for others?

Pray from our hearts. Pray regularly. Pray for others in detail - God knows everything; but when we make specific requests we find out what's important to us, and He can guide us to what's important to Him. The Bible compares our prayers to incense . . . something sweet and appealing and pleasant. Detailed, thoughtful prayers are so much better than rushed requests to "bless everybody"!

Making a prayer list or journal can help us remember details, and can provide us with joy when we realize a prayer has been answered. Pray for others with faith in Him, knowing that God loves the people we are praying for, too! Lastly, pray with a desire to help where we can - a card, a call, or a visit can be helpful to those we are lifting up in prayer. 

We'll revisit this in a week or so......I just felt like some of these thoughts were important to remind all of us that we can be prayer warriors for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.