Thursday, July 12, 2012

He shall purify . . .

I read this story on a book review blog recently. One of our Bible study blog followers is Donna, who blogs at My Life One Story at a Time. She was reviewing a book that I will tell you about later, and this was an excerpt that she posted. I found it very touching, and the author, Londa Hayden, graciously said that I could share this with you:

           A group of women who had gathered for a Bible study were reading the third chapter of Malachi. They came upon a remarkable expression: “And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.”  Speculations as to the meaning of the scripture echoed throughout the room.  One lady knew of a silversmith in town and offered to visit him.
            She went to inquire about the process of refining silver, which he fully described to her. “But Sir,” she said, “do you sit while the work of refining is going on?" 
           “Oh, yes,” the silversmith replied, “I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace. If I go the slightest degree hotter than necessary, the silver will be injured.”
            The lady at once saw the beauty and comfort in the expression, “He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.” At times, Christ must put His children into the furnace of affliction; His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Such trials do not come at random; “the very hairs of your head are all numbered.”   
           As the lady left the shop, the silversmith called her back, and told her that he forgot to mention that the only way he knows the process of purifying is complete is when he sees his own image reflected in the silver.
I don't think I have ever heard a more beautiful metaphor for the work Christ does in our lives, and for the result He wishes to achieve in us. Have you? Do you feel you are in the refiner's fire right now? Remember, He is with you, and watching you with His wise and loving eyes.


(I hope that you will check out Donna's review of Londa Hayden's book, Date. Pray. Wait., an excellent book that speaks to women everywhere about the best way for Christians to search for and find their soul mates.  Londa writes openly and honestly about her search for a lasting relationship, and brings scripture into her writing for a truly Biblical perspective. It is currently available on Amazon, and I want to thank Londa for allowing me to utilize this story.)

2 comments:

  1. We've often discussed refining silver in my Sunday School class, but never the role of the "refiner", just the role of the "refinee".
    This has opened my eyes a bit more to what our Lord has to deal with, when working with those of us who need refining. And who of us doesn't need it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments. I want to invite all your readers to a new Christian dating blog at www.datepraywait.com. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.