Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Proverbs 29:16 Growing like a weed

When the wicked thrive, so does sin, but the righteous will see their downfall.


Spring is on its way. For me, it can't come soon enough. I love the warm weather, the feel of sunshine on my back as I work in the yard and the garden. . .

Those dratted weeds. You think you have gotten them all, but there is another one popping up. And another and another.

Kinda like how we Christians feel when we see the wicked and sinful people of this world, and how they seem to be multiplying like weeds! There is so much sin around us. But we have promises that assure us it will not always be this way --- Solomon says in this verse that the righteous will see the wicked's downfall.

It's our responsibility to reach as many as we can before that time comes:

Isaiah 43:10a - You are my witnesses, saith the LORD,

Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

And we have assurance that Solomon was correct in his assessment -- we will see the downfall of the wicked. Check this out from Psalm 37:
[Evildoers] shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. . . . For evildoers shall be cut off. . . . For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; indeed, you will look diligently for his place, but it shall be no more. . . . The Lord laughs at him, for He sees that his day is coming. . . . But the wicked shall perish; and the enemies of the Lord, like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away. . . . [T]he descendants of the wicked shall be cut off. . . . I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a native green tree, yet he passed away, and behold, he was no more; indeed I sought him, but he could not be found. . . . But the transgressors shall be destroyed together; the future of the wicked shall be cut off.
That's a compilation of many of the verses of that Psalm.
I tell you what --- I think that would be a great way to close today . . . please open your own Bible and read Psalm 37 in its entirety. I believe it will comfort your heart and give you peace, as it did me.

2 comments:

  1. Our mother gave us (my brother and I) a Psalm as our own special psalm when we were young and mine is Ps 37! :) I practically know it by heart (well, not quite lol) Thanks, will read it again tonight x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard not to wonder why the wicked prosper. But God has a plan as I've said before. We just have to trust in His wisdom and do the best we can to be a witness for him.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.