Friday, August 16, 2013

Friday Slowdown

This is an old Shaker hymn that is featured in Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring. It has always been one of my favorites, so I hope that you will humor me and at the same time, receive a blessing by listening.
I have embedded two videos here: the first will give you the essence of the song, a capella by a men's group, so that you can hear the lyrics and reflect on those words. The second is sung by children in period costumes, amidst the simplicity of a Shaker homestead - their sweet voices truly offer an offering to God as they sing of the "simple gifts."

Enjoy.



3 comments:

Belinda said...

I've always loved this hymn. I hum it often, but need to learn the words.

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Both hymns were quite beautiful. Love to see the smiling faces of those singing it.

Austin Towers said...

This tune, I think, is put to the words of "Lord of the Dance"! These words are much much better! :) have a blessed weekend! Caro x