Tuesday, March 3, 2015

What are you listening to?

What is the purpose of music in the life of a Christian?

I think this is the main thing: the whole purpose of Christian music is to praise our Lord. When we accept Jesus into our lives and submit ourselves to Him, and obey God, He fills us with the Holy Spirit and we will sing a new song!

           And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it
          and fear, and shall trust in the Lord... (Psalm 40:3)

It isn't something we have to work at. It's not something we have to cultivate inside of us. It's something that God puts in us, and it's a result of His redeeming us.
It's not the music that enables us to show our love and devotion to God -- those feelings are already there. Praise to God in music is just one part of our expressions of love to Him.

          ...Be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.... (Ephesians 5:18-19)

So, what are you listening to, today?


I was listening to this today. Won't you share with us, too?

1 comment:

  1. I've been listening to Selah lately. And the line from one of their songs in particular, keeps running through my head...... "God bless the broken road that led me straight to You"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPaU7jJvqRc

    "Bless The Broken Road"
    (originally by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)

    I set out on a narrow way many years ago
    Hoping I would find true love along the broken road
    But I got lost a time or two
    Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
    I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you

    [Chorus:]
    Every long lost dream led me to where you are
    Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
    Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
    This much I know is true
    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you
    (Yes He did)

    I think about the years I spent just passing through
    I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
    But you just smile and take my hand
    You've been there you understand
    It's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.

    [Chorus]

    Yeah.

    Now I'm just rolling home
    Into my lover's arms
    This much I know is true
    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you.

    That God blessed the broken road
    That led me straight to you.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.