Monday, November 28, 2016

Good stewards -- of our health


When we were studying purity, the end of our study had us looking at verses in Colossians and in Galatians. We were thinking along the lines of focusing our thoughts and using strategies to keep out of "the dirt."

At the close of that study, it occurred to me that we also need to keep our "temples" out of the dirt, too. To be good stewards of what we've been blessed with.
Did ya know that the Bible talks about that, too?
Yep.
Ain't it awesome that we can find most anything in there? (Grin)

I know that some of us have some health issues. Some of us are healthy as horses, as my Grandma used to say.  It always made me wonder, why horses?  But I digress.

I guess that good health, or being a good steward of these miraculously designed coverings that we call our bodies, is something that we sometimes take for granted -- that is, until something starts to go wrong! Why do I feel fatigued? What is that bump on my forehead? What is wrong with me?

When our health takes a turn, we usually are quick to look at our own habits and diet. Our bodies really are finely tuned by our Maker, and they're able to endure fractures, scrapes, fever, and pain. But we actually are kinda fragile: we aren't designed to handle excess, whether it's nourishment, stress, or additives. If we were machines, we'd probably pay close attention to the fuel we put in, the poisons that we allowed, regular cleanings and the like.

Hmmmm. Are we doing at least what we'd do with machines, when it comes to these bodies of ours? What kind of fuel is going in? What kind of stress are we enduring? Are we keeping clean physically, mentally, and spiritually?

God has provided us with an "owner's manual" in our Bible. There are instructions there for proper "maintenance." It's not a medical journal. It's not a memo from the Center for Disease Control. But we can find basic principles for individual health and for public health, as well. An awful lot of the laws given by God to Moses contain rules that effectively ensure healthful living: they outlined water and food contamination, sewage disposal, infectious diseases, and much more.

Here is an interesting verse about the health of the children of Israel (and about the health of the Egyptians):
He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keepall his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.” (Exodus 15:26)
Lots of people are intrigued by the tombs of the Pharaohs, the mummies, and that ancient culture. The Egyptians suffered from many diseases that have ravaged populations throughout history. The mummies have revealed evidences of arthritis, cancer, gallstones, heart disease, and smallpox. Many of these were because they didn't understand the health principles that were given to Moses by God. These instructions were based on true science; they were based on cause and effect thousands of years before scientists discovered germs, bacteria, and viruses. Modern medicine has re-discovered many principles of good health that originated with God.

A couple of years ago, we studied the book of Proverbs here, and read this:
My son, do not forget my teaching,    but keep my commands in your heart,for they will prolong your life many years    and bring you peace and prosperity.This will bring health to your body    and nourishment to your bones. (Proverbs 3:1-2,8)
Obedience to God's commandments and other laws promotes health. For when we obey, we are operating in accordance with His "owner's manual." And as our Creator, He knows what is best for us.

Now, before we go any further this week, let's make one thing perfectly clear: the Bible tells us that those who follow God will generally be healthy. That does not necessarily mean that those who don't follow Him will always be sick!
Nor does it mean that God's people will be free from disease.
The apostle John wrote:
Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. (III John 1:2)
And Paul wrote this:
 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (I Corinthians 6:19-20)
God is interested most in our spiritual health, but He does want us, as much as possible, to be physically healthy as well. This week we'll focus on these thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I have thought of that, about our bodies being temples as the Holy Spirit does dwell within us. And when I pray for others or myself, that is one of the things I bring up with Him. I want mine or a friend's body to be a fitting "home" for the Holy Spirit. I try to do my part, and I ask that He help make it so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this time of year, when there is so much "JUNK" presented for consumption, this is something I desperately need reminding of. Already the week of Thanksgiving has messed with my good intentions of doing what is best for my body. I'm praying that this study will help me stay on track. My will power is pretty weak, but HIS power is strong.

    Looking forward to what the Holy Spirit reveals. :)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.