Thursday, October 19, 2017

Fearing God, continued


This week, we are studying the fear of the Lord....not something that we often hear about in church, or in conversations with other believers. We'd rather focus on what makes us feel warm and fuzzy, right? And it's true, He is our Friend, our Savior, our loving Father. But He is also a holy and Almighty God.
Our focus passage is this one:
Since you call on a Father who judges each person’s work impartially, live out your time as foreigners here in reverent fear. 18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect. 20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake. 21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God. (I Peter 1:17-21)

The first reason that Peter gave his readers for fearing God was that "time is short." Nowadays, there are lots of signs and humorous phrases about the short time we have on earth. Some of them encourage us to eat dessert first, others encourage us to do the most good that we can.

Life is indeed short. Peter uses the same word, "strangers," as he did in verse one. Some translations use "aliens" or "sojourners." Kinda brings to mind the words in the Old Testament....remember when the Hebrew children, the people of God, were in Egypt? They came to Egypt small in numbers, a large family that needed help in the famine. Their numbers grew as they were blessed by God with children and strong, healthy bodies. So much so, that the Egyptians grew apprehensive, thinking they might take over the land. They were led out of Egypt as an example of the grace and providence and guidance of the Almighty God. They were just "foreigners" or "sojourners" in the land of Egypt.

Well, our life here on earth is a short visit, too. Not to be depressing, but no one is going to live here on earth forever..... our mortal bodies only last so long. We are born; we may live thirty, forty, even sixty years. If we are blessed by God with strength and vigor, we may make it to eighty or ninety -- some may even see 100! (My great-grandma lived to be 105, so I hope those good genes are in my blood!)
But it doesn't matter how long we live, if the Lord doesn't come back beforehand, we are all eventually going to die.
The difference is this: some of us know it, and the rest act like we're going to live forever!
Which way are we looking at life?
I believe that we should live as if we knew we were going to pass away tomorrow.... what kind of changes would that make? Would some things not be as important anymore? Would other things suddenly seem "top priority?"
Moses looked at it like this:
Teach us to number our days,    that we may gain a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:12)
James told us this:
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (James 4:14)
David talked about it, too:
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;    the span of my years is as nothing before you.Everyone is but a breath,    even those who seem secure. (Psalm 39:5)
A breath, a mist.
The old hymn tells us, " Only one life, twill soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last."
What does this have to do with fearing God? With the loving respect and the respectful love that we discussed last time?
That respectful love will keep us doing the things that He would have us do. We will look at our lives through His eyes and look for opportunities to be His hands, His voice to others.
What we should really fear is that we may waste our time on things that don't matter. Or that we will be so preoccupied with life here on earth, that when He calls us, we aren't listening....

I studied the life of Gladys Aylward years ago, and I was impressed by her openness to God's leading, and her willingness to go where He sent her. In an era when men were the missionaries, and women were not readily accepted in some roles, she stepped out on faith and made a huge difference in many lives in China.
Are we willing to listen to Him? Are we willing to go "wherever He leads"?
A respectful, loving heart, a heart that fears God in the best sense of the words, will be a heart that listens, hears His call, and responds with action.

Oh, that we would fear Him in this way! What a difference we could make in our world!

Our studies will continue next week.



2 comments:

  1. I have been thinking quite a bit about our time here on earth and how finite it is. I have a family member who is seriously ill (they are quite elderly) and it has given me pause. This family member is a true Christian and though somewhat confused at times, as soon as I mention the Lord, they light up and become focussed again. I am again challenged to think about what I do while I'm here! Where is my treasure? Am I working for eternity? Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading what our friend above wrote today. It reminds me that no matter how irritated I may get at "things" here in this brief passage personal or political, if a fellow Christian speaks to me of Christ and the Bible...I brighten and my attitude changes completely and instantly. I love what I hear..listen with great attention and share with them as well. Fellow Christians make my day loving and those moments I am with them shine like the sun. I can tell what I love best and what is more important than anything here on this mortal earth.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.