Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Verses that inspire


What a blessing it was to dwell on this verse recently:
How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! (Hebrews 9:14)
When I compared the NIV (above) with the English Standard Version, I saw this:
how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. (Hebrews 9:14)
Here's what caught my eye and set the gears and rocks in my head to rumbling -- before we are saved, before Jesus' blood cleanses us from sin, whatever "good stuff" we do, is actually wasted time!

One translation says acts that lead to death, which could include sins. The other says dead works! Elsewhere, "works" are mentioned as things that people do for various reasons, which they feel will make them better people. Make them feel better about themselves. Many an unbeliever has pointed to "good stuff" that they have done, and they kinda feel like they are earning their way to heaven.
But that doesn't work....
We have all become like one who is unclean,    and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.We all fade like a leaf,    and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6)
he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (Titus 3:5-7)

It's not anything we can do.
It's not anything we can say.
It's totally our Savior.
Today, let's praise Him for His love, His mercy, and the salvation He gives us freely!

If you've a verse to share, I hope you will, in a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. The dead works would be wood, hay and stubble from 1 Cor 3. Such a profound passage. Also the one from Isaiah. The wisdom of the world will totally be burnt up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for the addition that Austin Towers has written. Today's verses are of paramount importance...thank you. I wish they were emblazoned on the sky for the unbelievers to have to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part in this Psalm 25 where the author requests the Lord to not remember the sins of his youth. On the days when Satan whispers in my ear “how can you be a Christian when.......” I remember that our God does not remember the sins of our youth.

    Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
    5 Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.
    6 Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
    for they are from of old.
    7 Do not remember the sins of my youth
    and my rebellious ways;
    according to your love remember me,
    for you, Lord, are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cathy for that. Just exactly what we need to remember every second of every day.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.