Monday, July 1, 2019

About as appealing as . . .



. . . a wadded up piece of cellophane.

A piece of clear wrap, used for covering up food in our fridge.

Take it off, and there are drops of water everywhere, from the condensation that may have accumulated.

Or there are particles of food, or a smear of gravy.

We take it off the bowl and wad it up in our hand  -- gets tossed in the trash, next, while the bowl goes in the microwave.

Where, oh where, am I going with this, you may ask?

That image of the already-used clear wrap is not very appealing, is it? I mean, the clear wrap is a great thing. It's extremely useful, and can keep food from spoiling if applied correctly.

But in the condition I've outlined, you might want to "pass" on handling it, right? Kinda yucky....

(That sound you just heard was gears changing!)

Recently, I had the opportunity to look at a web site for a church nearby. Their order of service was listed, as well as their ministries and outreach opportunities. An over-arching theme on all of the pages of their site was a truly warm welcome.
Now, this church was not one that I would normally consider attending. Their beliefs were far different from mine on many issues. But what a lesson! These peeps went out of their way to extend a hand of welcome and you could almost see the smiles on the faces of the congregation when you looked through the site. I saw words like "respect," and "welcome," and "kindness," and more.
Compare that with many churches today . . .
So many churches and denominations are in a continual state of conniption over supposed differences in doctrine, imagined slights and insults, and huge doses of legalism. The members seem to find it difficult to smile and a visitor might not receive one handshake of welcome before or after a service.

I'm going to get personal now. I'm ashamed to say that in the past, I allowed legalistic attitudes and unwavering convictions to color my interactions with believers and unbelievers alike. I gave more importance to what someone believed....to where they were at this present time in the Spirit walk....I made that more important than modeling and offering God's love and compassion to others. I cringe sometimes when I think of how I acted and the things that I said (mostly to myself, not to others, but still that is a problem!).
Anyone else in this boat with me?
Any hands in the air?
I truly believe that there is too much line drawing in the sand nowadays. Too much "you are SO different" and "that is not what WE believe here."
We sorely need more calmness, more reasoned attitudes, and yes, more love.

I know, I know, I hear those who are saying that we are called to be in the world, but not of the world. A separate people. A peculiar people.
But come on, y'all, we can still show love to others! We can respect them as individuals that are loved by the same Father God Who loves us. He died for them just as much as He died for us! And we need to be winsome and winning in order to have the opportunity to tell them about Him!
Let's look at the example of Christ. Jesus was vilified for spending time with sinners. Notice, please, that He was not participating in sin. He didn't join in the sin, but befriended the sinners. He reached out to them.
Many in today's church act like it would break their arms to reach out to others. (Grin) It wouldn't hurt us to look past the different interpretations. Not the core beliefs; I'm talking about others who truly believe in our Lord and Savior's atoning work at the cross, and His resurrection. How we interpret certain verses, or how we choose to sing and worship shouldn't come between us -- we can have unity in our love for our Redeemer.

I'm going to climb down off my soapbox, now.
I'm going to get on my knees and ask Him to show me how to love others like He did.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (I Corinthians 13:4-7)
 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)

1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.