Thursday, November 14, 2019

Half full or half empty? Serving God realistically


Many people today like to "pigeonhole" others....they will say that one person is an optimist and another a pessimist. I'd like to continue our study of the second chapter of Nehemiah, and look at how we can be right in the middle: looking at things realistically! Serving God with a realistic attitude and outlook will prevent us from crashing and burning when things don't go as we would like.....

Last time we met here, we talked about how Nehemiah waited four months from when Hanani told him about the terrible situation in Jerusalem and when he mentioned it to the king, Artaxerxes. While he waited, he prayed.
What's step two?
Nehemiah developed patience.
Groan.
Oh, no, not that.
That's a hard one!
I know, I know, patience is a fruit of the Spirit and God wants all of His children to develop that. But it's not one that I'm good at. The Spirit and I are still working on that. And I expect that we will be, for quite a while more. (Grin)
Whether we are leaders or followers, we can cause a lot of problems if we react impetuously. Or if we race ahead of God to try to fix a problem.
(As a leader, Nehemiah is going to show us that he is capable of swift, decisive action when needed. And we are going to learn that he is OK with that because he has bathed every situation in prayer!) For example, he didn't leave his conversation with Hanani and rush into the king's court: "Oh, king! I need to take a year's leave of absence! I believe God has called me to Jerusalem!"
Instead, he prayed and fasted, concealing his burden from the king. He presented his concerns to God in private, and waited for God to open the door of opportunity, so that he could talk with Artaxerxes. Only then did he move forward.
Later on (in a coming chapter) we will see his patience again, when Nehemiah arrives in Jerusalem. He could have ridden into town with his traveling companions and imperiously shouted to the welcoming crowd, "I've come to help you rebuild the wall!" He could have dismounted his horse and informed them that they should join him at a town hall meeting in an hour to discuss the plans.
Instead, he waited three days before doing anything! Even then, he moved cautiously and patiently, guided by his prayer life with God.

Waiting on God means working on our patience. Sometimes as new believers, or as veteran believers, too, we are bursting with great ideas for tackling problems in the church. We are excited and want to move quickly. When we meet with resistance, we are surprised and taken aback. The metaphor of sowing and reaping can teach us that we need to patiently sow God's Word (or offer tactful suggestions on how to solve problems) and that Change. Takes. Time. (Grin)
Be still before the Lord    and wait patiently for him; (Psalm 37:7a)
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. (Ephesians 4:2)
I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,    and in his word I put my hope. (Psalm 130:5)
Nehemiah prayed and was patient as he waited on God to work.
And that is step two of looking at our situation realistically!

1 comment:

  1. Patience, even at my great age, is something I really need to work at! I've always said I am a realist though, when it comes to assessing situations! :-)

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.