Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Prayer requests


I realize I have said this before, but I truly feel it's an honor to be able to pray alongside those of you who have left prayer requests here at the study blog. It's a joy to be able to thank God with those of you who've let us know of answered prayer.

We talk about so many things in our lives and give them "ratings."
How was your meal? Well, on a scale of one to ten, it was about a six . . .
How was your vacation? On a scale of . . . .
You get my drift.
Recently I applied that concept to my prayer life. If one is almost non-existent, and ten would be stellar, where would I be? If I'm truly honest with myself, I'm probably a three or a four . . . That's a low number.
But, continuing to be honest, we do live in a world of distractions. What if we gave ourselves to prayer for thirty minutes a day? Maybe fifteen minutes and another fifteen later? That might be a good day, right? It amazes me to hear of peeps like John Wesley, who spent over two hours each day in private prayer.
But that was before television.
Before computers.
Before smartphones.
Before email.
 Yes, that is true. There are a lot of technology "toys" that can threaten our prayer time. These become obstacles to our praying. They contend for our time as certainly as if they were animate, tapping our shoulder or tugging on our sleeve. If we find out that we need to wait before a doctor can see us, before a shop opens, before a friend arrives to meet us . . . what do we do?
Do we instinctively reach for that smartphone to pass the time?  Recently, I have tucked two scripture cards in my pocket, and I reach for those instead.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. (Romans 12:12)
 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (I Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Reaching for these verses will help me focus. (And help me to memorize them, too!) Reading these verses will help me develop an attitude that steers me to prayer, especially in the times that we think are "wasted." Don't give up on yourself - return to prayer as many times during the day as you can.
Time spent in prayer is not wasted. It's used more effectively!
Remember Ephesians 5:16?
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (KJV)
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (NIV)
Let's be determined to pray often. It will make such a difference in our attitudes and in our lives!
I hope that if you have a prayer request or a praise for answered prayer that you will leave a comment so that we can pray or rejoice with you!!

3 comments:

  1. I think that in this unprecedented situation we have now in the world, prayer has never been so important. In the UK we are now under quite severe restrictions regarding movement and social interaction. In my house we are having to self isolate for the forseeable and though this is not a big deal for me, life has now become very strange. I do think the knock on effect in the global financial markets could be (without divine intervention) the worst ever in history! Please keep safe everyone. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times of feeling helpless in the ever churning event(s). Since we sometimes feel like an object swept along by swift waters, we have a life saver to cling to. I do. He's the only Help.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.