Monday, November 29, 2021

Lord, what are You thinking?

Recently, I was reading an excerpt from a book by Elizabeth Elliot; she lost her husband Jim when he and several other men were murdered by tribesmen in Ecuador. They had been making contact with them and things seemed to be progressing well, but then their bodies were found, run through by natives' spears. 

The excerpt that I read inspired me, as I was beginning to study Psalm 57 for our posts. Elizabeth Elliott was in Wales, watching a shepherd and his dog work with a flock of sheep. The well-trained pup would herd the sheep, one by one, up a ramp. At the end of the ramp was a tank of antiseptic, and the sheep were pushed in so that the antiseptic would bathe their bodies completely, and protect them from parasites. As soon as they scrambled up out of the tank, the shepherd would grab them and place them back under the antiseptic for a few more seconds. 

The shepherd's wife was standing with Mrs. Elliott, and when Elizabeth asked if the sheep understood what was happening to them, answered, "They haven't got a clue. They probably don't remember that it happened to them last year, and they don't have a clue why it's done."

Elizabeth Elliot said, "I've had some experiences in my life that have made me feel very sympathetic to those poor sheep -- I couldn't figure out any reason for the treatment I was getting from the Shepherd I trusted. And He didn't give me a hint of explanation."

A very honest remark from a woman who rose from her knees beside her husband's grave to serve and tell the gospel message to the very natives who killed him.

If we have been Christians for very long, we've been there. The Shepherd we have trusted has thrown us into some circumstances that are quite difficult. And we don't have a clue as to why, in spite of our prayers and our devotion to doing His will. David had been there, too. Psalm 57 was written to describe that type of experience.

Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me,
    for in you I take refuge.
I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings
    until the disaster has passed.

 I cry out to God Most High,
    to God, who vindicates me.
 He sends from heaven and saves me,
    rebuking those who hotly pursue me—[c]
    God sends forth his love and his faithfulness.

 I am in the midst of lions;
    I am forced to dwell among ravenous beasts—
men whose teeth are spears and arrows,
    whose tongues are sharp swords.


Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;

    let your glory be over all the earth.

 They spread a net for my feet—
    I was bowed down in distress.
They dug a pit in my path—
    but they have fallen into it themselves.

 My heart, O God, is steadfast,
    my heart is steadfast;
    I will sing and make music.
 Awake, my soul!
    Awake, harp and lyre!
    I will awaken the dawn.

 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations;
    I will sing of you among the peoples.
 For great is your love, reaching to the heavens;
    your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

 Be exalted, O God, above the heavens;
    let your glory be over all the earth.

We've studied before and remember that when he was a teen, David was anointed as king to replace the moody, disobedient King Saul. He was thrust into the headlines, so to speak, when he slew the giant Goliath -- talk about instant fame! King Saul's jealousy and resentment sent David running for his life, and he spent the better part of his "twenties" dodging those attempts on his life.

The title of the psalm says that he wrote this when "he fled from Saul, in the cave."  I've often wanted to stop when we have traveled through the Shenandoah Valley in western Virginia. The networks of caves there are renowned for their beauty, and are well lit, to show the interesting formations inside the mountains. But David didn't have electric lights and a tour guide. In fact, he probably felt his way along in the dark - he was hiding.

Personally, if I were "holed up" in a cave and a madman was out there searching for me (with a large army to help him), and God had promised me something that didn't seem to be happening . . .  I'm not certain that I could be sitting in the cave writing praise songs.

But David is! He's singing in the cave! And it's not a sad song; he's praising God! In this study, we will learn how we are to think and act in those times that God's promises don't seem true.

1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.