Monday, February 22, 2021

Are we aging gracefully?

Recently, in another post on this study blog, we mentioned the term "aging gracefully." I was intrigued to read and study more, and to pull together some thoughts for us to consider. 
I know that there are women of all ages who read and pray here. There's even a fella or two that have stopped by and let me know they visited!  I believe the majority of us, though, are what I would call "seasoned warriors," whether we are talking warriors in prayer or in the trenches of everyday life. (Grin) 

Walk into a bookstore (yes, we still DO have those!) and you will see self-help books galore; some are focused on our best life in our later years. We can get advice on the best nutrition, the best home remedies, the best exercises, the best relational tools, and much more. 

Walk into a doctor's office, and you'll see people who at the first hint of discomfort will race to the physician for a prescription or a strategy. (You will also see people who stoically endure to the point of excruciation, and then find that there's not much that can be done, at so late a date. Perhaps somewhere in between is the best option.)

In a department store, a great amount of space on the cosmetic counters is devoted to creams, ointments, and disguises to prevent wrinkles if you don't have any, or to cover them up if you do have them. (Personally, I have enough wrinkles to qualify me for a post in the Basset hound club, but that's a whole different story.)

Exercise clubs and gyms have special days and times for us oldsters; presumably that is to make us more comfortable and induce us to participate. I wonder sometimes if it is really so that the youngsters don't have to hear us break wind as we struggle to keep up with the yoga instructor.

In good weather, you will see older folks walking or relaxing on the benches in the park. Their faces offer a wealth of differences. All are lined with wrinkles: the trophies of living to the final third of their lives; some wrinkles are arranged in smile lines and others in frowns. Some seem to welcome us to nod and smile at them. Some seem to shut us out, as if they'd prefer we hurry on our way and leave them alone.

Which old woman am I?

Which old woman (or man) are you?

I read in a book review that as we grow older, we have less energy to pretend. And that we care a bit less about what others think of us, too. The result is that the "real" us comes out. 

That hit home to me. It resonated. I could see it in my own life. 

And I wanted to make sure that the real me was an attractive, godly me. One that would be a good testimony for my Savior - one that would draw others to Him.

Want to join me on a pilgrimage to learn more?

I sure hope you said yes!

As we begin our study, let's keep our eyes on this verse. I've chosen it as our theme:

I have cared for you since you were born.
    Yes, I carried you before you were born.
I will be your God throughout your lifetime—
    until your hair is white with age.
I made you, and I will care for you.
    I will carry you along and save you. (Isaiah 46:3b-4, NLT)

I'm looking forward to having you walk along with me in this study.

2 comments:

  1. I am actually quite reserved (some say shy!) so I don't generally like to engage unless it's on my own terms! However, I have many times found myself being accosted by complete strangers who seem to want to tell me their life story, especially on trains, where one is a captive audience! Being polite I don't discourage and it can sometimes be a very fruitful conversation. :-) As an older person you definitely become less noticeable that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have become less reserved, but not unless an actual opportunity shows itself to me. IfI happen upon a Christian...oh my. We have the best of conversations.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.