Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Proverbs 24: 19 - 20 Mowing grass

19 Do not fret because of evildoers
    or be envious of the wicked,
20 for the evildoer has no future hope,
    and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out. 



for like the grass they will soon wither,
    like green plants they will soon die away. (Psalm 37:2)


I thought it was interesting that Solomon was saying the same thing that his dad (David) had said years before -- no need to envy the wicked, or evil-doers. No need to fret. They may be doing quite well for the short term, like the lush, green grass . . . but in the long term? Not so much. In fact, Jesus spoke to this issue when he was talking to His disciples. He said they'll  (the wicked) have their reward now.  (Matthew 6:2) The implication is, of course, that they have no reward later - only punishment. Whether it's sooner, or later, they'll meet with a day of judgement; like that grass, they'll get mowed down, if they continue in their sin and reject the Father's love.

I wonder if David and Solomon said this as much for their contemporary prophets as for a reminder for themselves.  As devoted to God as prophets were, and as close to Him as they could be from day to day (after all, God sent them messages for their rulers, and for the people)....you'd think that if the prophet spoke to God quite often, that he'd be the last person to get bummed out about the wicked? But listen to this example from the prophet Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 12:1 You are always righteous, O LORD, when I bring a case before you. Yet I would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease?
So maybe Solomon meant this for the religious leaders of his day, and for us as well. . . We are, after all the ones who DO have hope, and can rely on Him that our lamp will not be snuffed out. And like the prophets of old, we have the privilege of speaking with our Father each and every day --- and we hold His message (the Bible) in our hands.

2 comments:

  1. Yep. Hard not to envy those who are prospering, evil or not. I just have to remind myself that this is where God wants me, and this is what He wants me to have. And I need to be content, and thankful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In so many ways life does not seem far especially when you see the wicked prosper. When I feel envy rising up in me I have to remind myself that God has a plan for me and I am where He wants me.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.