Thursday, August 23, 2012

Proverbs 25:13 - 14 Reliability is Refreshing

13 Like a snow-cooled drink at harvest time
    is a trustworthy messenger to the one who sends him;
    he refreshes the spirit of his master.
14 Like clouds and wind without rain
    is one who boasts of gifts never given.


Those of us who fancy ourselves to be gardeners are probably well-acquainted with the situations in these verses. For though we may not have acres of grain to harvest, we have likely spent a great deal of time working and sweating between the rows, especially at the time of harvest. Usually that comes at a time when there is less rain, so our work is often hot and dusty, too. If the weather is not cooperating, there may not even be a breeze stirring --- and many a farmer and gardener alike has looked up at the sky and contemplated a promising cloud bank; but then the clouds move on without dispensing any of the rain we wanted.

The dust and heat parch our throats --- but we have it much easier than the harvesters of Solomon's day. For them, a drink would have come from a skin sewn into a water vessel, taken with them into the fields. No cold drinks here. A little luckier were those who worked near a well; they could let down a vessel and draw up water that was at least a little cooler. Imagine how it would have felt if they could have sipped a drink of water cooled in, or melted from -- snow! How clean and refreshing it would have felt! For a while, the cares and dusty conditions would have been forgotten. The body and mind would both be refreshed.

Solomon is noting here that it is just as much of a relief, and just as refreshing, for someone to be able to fully rely on a "messenger." That if that person is trustworthy, he or she is far better than clouds and wind which give no rain.

Now, you and I may not be sent as messengers in the way that Solomon would send runners through his kingdom, on official business. But we are often asked by others to perform small tasks, or to complete a job, or minister in some way. If we don't follow through, and finish the job, we are just like those clouds and winds that don't really accomplish anything.

We must see our task as a gift -- not a chore. It may be a small thing, but it is a chance to prove to someone else that "hey, you can count on me!" It is a gift, to be able to offer that completed task to our Father as an offering. 

In another application of these verses, you and I are messengers each and every day for our Lord. Are we trustworthy messengers? Are we truly serving Him, or are we letting self creep in? In other words, are we dispensing the gospel (either aloud or by quiet example) for His glory, or are we seeking glory for ourselves?  We are ambassadors for His kingdom -- and ambassadors are known and accepted by their credentials.....what are our credentials that we are showing for proof? The fruits of the Spirit? Or snippets of anger, and self, and spite?  It's ironic -- not only can we not fool Him, but we can't fool the unsaved, either.
Let's be trustworthy messengers for our Father, and be refreshment to Him.




2 comments:

  1. I am a gardener,not a big time farmer, but I felt that unreliably of the weather when we needed rain for the vegetables.
    I appreciate people who are reliable when it comes to things they say they will do.
    I feel like I am a reliable person in my daily life. I also want to be that reliable, trustworthy messenger every day for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much at gardening myself, but love a beautiful garden. As Carrie said, I try very hard to be trustworthy and follow through with a task I agree to. I've been spending time with my friend in the hospital trying to be a help in any way I can, performing those small tasks and ministering in my own way. God has been giving me little scripture to share with my friends, that are encouraging in this time of darkness for them. I want to be used of God, and a comfort to friends. And I feel pretty uncomfortable when they thank me. I try to change the subject and move on because this is what God put on my heart to do.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.