Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Verses that inspire


Many of us have been in church more times than we can count. We've listened to countless sermons and lessons.

We've heard the Word of God referred to as "bread" and as "meat." We remember the verse in which Paul wants us to "grow up" and be ready for the "meat" contained in the Word, not just the "milk" that new Christians desire and need.

Do we really practice what we preach?

Here's what I mean . . . let's say that we have a very busy morning. Things are really moving quickly, and all we have time for is a quick cup of coffee or tea. We'll get something later, we tell ourselves.

Lunchtime arrives, and we're on our way to the doctor, or to the store, or we're overwhelmed with quieting a child. We roll our eyes inwardly and tell ourselves, well, it won't be that long till dinner.

By the time suppertime arrives, we are REALLY HUNGRY!! We make sure we have a nice meal, and boy, does it taste good!

Ahem.

How long does it take, how many hours (or even days?) until we are REALLY HUNGRY to get into God's Word? How many times do we miss our time with Him? Does our spiritual stomach demand that we sit down and devour His Word?
                       The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb. (Psalm 19:9-10)
          I  have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread. (Job 23:12)
When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God of Heaven's Armies.(Jeremiah 15:16)

 (While these verses inspired me, they also convicted me this week. Can someone pass me the box of band-aids for my sore toes? I will put some on, and then get into His Word....)

1 comment:

  1. I love this one......

    "‘Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,’ declares the LORD, ‘and will bring you back from captivity’" (Jeremiah 29:12-14a, NIV).

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.