Wednesday, November 1, 2017

I Peter 1:22 ....love one another



Were you able to find some time to search for "one another" phrases before today? I was amazed at all the scripture references.... love one another, honor one another, live in harmony, stop passing judgment, accept, instruct, greet, serve...... Oy!

These are not just a laundry list for us to check off and/or feel guilty about. These are truths that the Holy Spirit wants to cultivate in our lives -- in all of these, we become more like our Lord Jesus.

There is NO WAY that we can walk in this way of love on our own! We must depend on the grace that He gives us:
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)
Why? Because this is exactly the opposite of what today's world encourages! We've mentioned before that today the emphasis is on "me, me, me!"
What fulfills me?
What helps me "find myself"?
What makes me happy?
On and on, and on....
But the Lord is clear in the importance that He puts on our love for one another. It's not optional! And really, it's going to be a reality when true believers, whose lives are in harmony with the Spirit, are together. If love and respect for each other are not visible, then there should be some alarm bells going off! This should be a signal that we all need to get on our knees and straighten out the issues within our own hearts, and then get up from our knees and love one another!
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. (Philippians 2:3-4)
It's not only a command of our Lord, it's also a fruit of the Spirit; it shows the world that God is working and assembling a church here on earth. I think it may be important for each of us to re-read that second chapter of Philippians, as well as the thirteenth chapter of I Corinthians!

So let's dig in to what the Word tells us: God is love; He wants us to emulate Him in loving others; this love should be sincere and from the heart.
Seriously now.
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:34-35)
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. (Romans 12:10)
Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. (Romans 13:10)
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. (Ephesians 4:2-3)
This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. (I John 4:10-12)
Oh, man! I guess there's no escaping it, right? I HAVE to love Mr. McGreedy, Mrs. Crankypants, and little Tommy Whinesalot. (Grin)

Well, yes. One of God's defining characteristics is the love that He expresses.... it's truly unconditional love. It's love in its purest form, since He loves us when we are sinners, and when our own righteousness is "as filthy rags," but He loves us anyway. That's the kind of love we are to strive to show to others.
People we like.
People we can barely tolerate when they walk in the room.
People that we enjoy spending time with.
People that hurt us.
People that we have hurt.
If we have an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ, we will strive to act in love toward others.
All others.
All the time.
Why, oh why, is this so hard for us? Maybe because in our finite minds, love is something that should be earned.  But Christ-like love is simply given. It can't be earned. No way!
What does this mean?
It means we will forgive each time someone asks us to forgive.
It means we will ask for forgiveness when we know we've hurt someone.
It means we want to treat our families with respect and kindness.
It means we will hold our tempers and our tongues and not shout.
It means we will give of our time and serve others.
It means we will give up our own desires to make others happy.

All of these are actions. Love is an action word! And God expects us to take this command seriously!
More tomorrow on "love one another."


3 comments:

  1. I like that.... “love is an action word” Our world has turned the love love into a soft and fluffy sentimental feeling or a passionate lustful feeling. And once that feeling goes away, then the search is on for someone else who will inspire that feeling. SO much damage is left in the wake of that moving and searching for the elusive feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with the post and with Cathy's comment. Love IS an action word and not a feeling ... well not one we should rely on. I found 14 verses which said particularly "love one another" and all of them are a blessing to me. In particular I noted 1 Peter 4:8
    And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”
    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a welcome brilliant light to shine on us. Much needed, and that to the degree that I will print this one out and keep for constant reminder. Spot on for me...and for everyone. Inspired...of course. So grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.