Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Don't waste time!



I don't know about you, but I want my life to bear fruit for Him. I don't want to waste a minute of it! This week, we are focusing on this passage:
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.As a result, they do not live the rest of their earthly lives for evil human desires, but rather for the will of God. For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit. The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. 10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

Peter was talking here to believers who used to spend a lot of time with their besties, getting drunk, being rowdy, acting promiscuous, and much more. After they accepted God's gift of salvation in Christ, those friends were surprised when the believers didn't take part in the orgies and parties any more. And they were not just surprised; they became abusive.
They didn't understand, and what they could not understand they mocked and ridiculed. (Sound like today? Yup!) So Peter is encouraging the believers who would hear his letter to be mindful that time was precious.....they didn't need to waste it.

Life is short; that's true! Scripture reminds us:
Show me, Lord, my life’s end    and the number of my days;
    let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handbreadth;    the span of my years is as nothing before you.Everyone is but a breath,    even those who seem secure. (Psalm 39:4-5)
Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (James 4:14)
There's a secular Christmas song that talks about how the Christmas vacation is wonderful for the kids, but the parents can hardly wait for school to start again....it's perception, right? When you are eight years old, summer vacation (or Christmas break) stretches before you like an unending length of time. But as we get older, the days seem to fly by. We need to make the most of our days....
Teach us to number our days,    that we may gain a heart of wisdom. (Psalm 90:12)
If we are wise, we will value each and every day.... we won't put aside the kind words, the time it takes to write a letter, or the impulse to phone an old friend. Don't forget life is short! Say "I love you" to those near you. Sit down and write that note to someone who needs encouragement. Pick up the phone and call that old friend....
Years ago, I cross-stitched a saying that has inspired me: it talked about leaving the dusting and sweeping for tomorrow, because babies grow up so quickly. Many times my eye would fall on that and I would stop what I was doing and go play with my littles! I don't think that any of us will know the end of our lives is near, and say, "Gee, I wish I had cleaned more." Or, "I wish I had gone to more meetings, spent more hours at my desk." But we sure as the world may regret not having spent more time with our kids, our spouses, and with our Lord!
Every morning that we can open our eyes and climb out of bed (slowly, perhaps painfully, but hey! We are still moving!) is a very special day. It's a gift from God!

Another thing that Peter tells us is that life is not only short, but it can be wasted. Not many people read the book of Ecclesiastes.... it's the record of King Solomon, who just happened to be one of the richest and (for a while, anyway) the wisest kings who ever lived. He spent a long time exploring all of the options open to him, trying to "be happy" and find meaning in life. He spent time and money on projects, vineyards, reservoirs, and more. He built up huge herds and flocks. He acquired treasures and even a harem. How did that work out for him?
I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;    I refused my heart no pleasure.My heart took delight in all my labor,    and this was the reward for all my toil. Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done    and what I had toiled to achieve,everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;    nothing was gained under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11)
Solomon does everything he can think of to find pleasure, and then realizes that it's all meaningless. It doesn't fulfill him. It didn't bring him a life of purpose. Something was missing.
Sometimes our lives are like that, too, and the days go by quickly, but we are not sure what we are trying to accomplish....

As we think about our lives today, perhaps we realize that they are passing far more quickly than we'd like, and that perhaps they are not really what we'd like them to be. Maybe we need to take inventory of how we spend our days.
We want to make a difference for God with our lives.....how then shall we live?
Tune in tomorrow....

1 comment:

  1. Yes. A proper caution. I am aware too of this wasting of time. I try to gain ground.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.