Monday, September 17, 2018

I'm forgetful



Oh, boy, I'm showing my age.....
I mean, I'm getting more forgetful. (Grin)
Are ya with me, here?
You, too, huh?
It seems that we do have that issue as we age. After all, there are many physical and mental changes associated with our getting more miles on our odometers. But it doesn't necessarily mean that we are experiencing dementia. Forgetfulness can be a sign of poor diet, of stress, of poor sleep habits, and other everyday problems.
One thing I'm super-duper glad about -- God remembers things that we forget.
Huh?
Yup, God remembers things that we don't . . . .

Do me a favor and open your Bible, whatever translation is your favorite, and let's study one of my favorite Psalms this week!
Indulge me, OK?

Please read Psalm 103. Then go back and read it again. Linger on the words; don't be in a rush. Let your Bible lie open and pray for the Spirit to show you the truths there.

Have we ever wondered what God really thinks about us? Yes, we know we are sinners. And He knows that. But sometimes in the middle of the night, when we are wrestling with a problem or a need, do our minds wander a bit? Do we wonder how in the world can He be interested in such little bitty people and our problems?  Even though the Word tells our mind that no problem is too small, does a thought creep in about how sinful we are, and how neglectful of our relationship with Him? Are we even worthy to be lying there praying to such an awesome and holy God?

Been there?
My hand is up, too.
As a father has compassion on his children,    so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed,    he remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:13-14)
Sometimes we struggle with this because we feel so bad about ourselves -- and if we know the truth about ourselves, think of how much better God knows us! We can't fool Him.
You have searched me, Lord,    and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise;    you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down;    you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue    you, Lord, know it completely. (Psalm 139:1-4)
I know, right?
Sometimes we don't want to think about God or spend the time in prayer or study because when we look at ourselves in the mirror, we just want to throw up our hands in disgust. Wow, what a disappointment, we think. We certainly ought to be better by now -- more patient. More compassionate. More godly than we are.
Oy vey.
I think we've all felt that way from time to time. It's easy to feel that way when we've had a bad day. Or a hard week. Or a bad year! It probably won't take any persuasion for us to remember that we are sinners. But perhaps we don't know God's heart as well as we know our own sins. Perhaps that is why we shy away from our relationship sometimes, and feel overwhelmed with our shortcomings - and with His holiness.

Our Psalm this week can help us. This is the chapter that I turn to again and again, when I need to remember God's compassion. Let's study it this week and see what we learn!

2 comments:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.