Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Verses that inspire


These verses inspired me this week:
By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.22 By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions concerning the burial of his bones. (Hebrews 11:21-22)
I'm still struck by the responsibility and the opportunity that we each are given at the ends of our lives..... the opportunity to reach, to teach, and to inspire those who come after us.

I'm impressed by the fact that the writer of Hebrews thought these two situations were the highlights of Jacob and Joseph's lives -- lives that were full of high drama, encounters with God, and experiences that pointed to the faithfulness of the Almighty in fulfilling His promises!

It's hard to imagine that any of the experiences in my own life compare to those of these men; but perhaps my "final" words may be the highlight of my life, too. I pray that God will allow me to remain lucid and faithful to the end. I want to inspire others to serve Him, and I want to be a testimony of His grace, as well.
I truly hope to leave a better legacy tomorrow than I have so far. And by the way, it's not about "things" to pass down, either!
It's about warm memories of a mom and wife, who exemplified graciousness and steadfast love even when it hurt so badly that one could hardly breathe. It's about leaving memories of everyday faith and hope in the hereafter; it's about a humble and good heart and a mind that is at peace where God has me -- and the knowledge that even if I don't understand why I'm where He has placed me, it's for His purpose.
I can't say that I'm there yet, but you had better believe those are my life goals! I want my family to have a far greater inheritance than the few earthly possessions I have!

Lord, I believe! Help with my unbelief! And strengthen me for the tasks you've blessed me with!


1 comment:

  1. That’s what I want too. So many people these days are stating that they don’t want funerals or memorials or anything else like that. I want a funeral, not because I want people to remember me, but because I want it to be used as a means to preach the gospel, to say that this woman believed and was saved and is glory with her Saviour. Where will you be?

    In the meantime, as Paul said to Timothy:

    14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.