Thursday, January 3, 2019

Snow, frost, cold, brrrrrr!



I didn't know until I began this study that there are twenty-five mentions of snow in the Bible. There are twenty-two times in the Old Testament, and three in the New.  I might have miscounted, but y'all can let me know if I'm wrong. (Grin)
Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, (Job 38:22)
Personally, I'm not a fan of snow. I'm not a fan of cold weather at all. But I can appreciate the good work that snow and cold can do . . . I researched this and it's amazing how God planned all of this out! Prolonged freezing temps can reduce the number of tree boring bugs, and improve the health of the forests.  Those cold temperatures can also reduce the number of flying insects, like the gypsy moth that can harm lots of things, and the mosquitos and critters that can carry diseases. Are you happier about the cold weather yet? (Grin)
I've heard that in California, a combination of very few freezing episodes and few pesticides, too, has made it possible for the black widow spiders to achieve the size of cocker spaniels, and increased their vitality so that they can carry off your cat, but I digress.....
Cold temperatures can make outdoor exercise a bit less pleasant, but the results are pretty cool (no pun intended, ok?) since the exercise makes for more endorphins, or "happy" hormones in our bodies. And our friends in the Great Lakes area say that only when the extreme cold hits and freezes the surface of the lakes can they walk into and enjoy the lake caves, decorated with icicles and handiwork of our Father.
So, I guess even if my personal opinion of the snow and cold has not changed, I can at least see the wisdom of the Almighty in preparing the seasons for us!

There are a couple of applications that I wanted to point out for us, as we start 2019......
Where does snow come from?
The weather man would tell us a long story of atmospheric change, winds and temperatures. I know better -- snow comes from the Lord! After all, it is He Who causes the sun to shine (or not to shine)!
He speaks to the sun and it does not shine;    he seals off the light of the stars. (Job 9:7)
The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,    the world, and all who live in it; (Psalm 24:1)
It is the Lord Who controls the wind:
He makes the clouds his chariot    and rides on the wings of the wind.He makes winds his messengers,    flames of fire his servants. (Psalm 104:3b-4)
It is He Who simply spoke the galaxies and this earth, too, into existence -- and He still controls it all:
He spreads out the northern skies over empty space;    he suspends the earth over nothing. (Job 26:7)
Sorry, folks, but there wasn't really a "Big Bang." God created all that we see with our own eyes and with telescopes and space vehicles....so snow comes from Him, too!

Another thing about snow......it covers up ugly things.  White flakes fall softly and cover piles of trash, wrecked and abandoned cars, and dilapidated houses in forgotten towns. Snow covers mud and stagnant puddles and makes everything look clean and white.
Jesus' blood covers ugly things, too. God can take the dirtiest sinners (that's all of us, no matter how good we think we are) and make us clean -- as white as snow!
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. (Psalm 51:7)
 “Come now, let us settle the matter,”    says the Lord.“Though your sins are like scarlet,    they shall be as white as snow; (Isaiah 1:18a)
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. (I Timothy 1:15)
Snow is pure, too. Just water vapor that has been transformed into lovely white flakes. When we think of purity, our Savior comes to mind:
“He committed no sin,    and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 25 For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
He was the pure One Who redeems us from our sins. And I bet we all recall our study in I Peter, where we read this:
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16 for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.” (I Peter 1:15-16)
Snow comes from God...
Snow covers ugly things....
Snow makes us think of the purity of our Lord, and our responsibility....
There are treasures in the snow.
More on this tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. And when the snow melts everything looks even more ugly and dirty!! Like you I enjoy the idea of snow, but not the actuality! So pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I’m not a fan of snow or the cold. At best I tolerate it, at worst I hate it. But.... I have learned to remind myself of the benefits of the cold and snow like you talked about here. Because of the snow here in Ontario there are no alligators or crocodiles lurking in our lakes, ponds and rivers. There are no humungous snakes poisonous or otherwise. There are no scorpions or fire ants..... I can go on but you get the idea. I am grateful for the seasons, even if I don’t like this particular one.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.