Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Verses that inspire


Recently, I've been camped out in Psalm 91. Some of you know this because I've corresponded with you. (Grin) There's so much to learn and to rejoice over in this little Psalm!

I wanted to share some thoughts about verse fourteen:
Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name." (v 14, NASB)
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. (v 14, NIV)
I've said before how helpful it can be to truly broaden our understanding of verses -- to compare them in different translations. That's why I placed both the NASB and the NIV translations of verse fourteen up there.

Those are awe-inspiring promises from our Father God, are they not? Deliverance, rescue, protection, security . . . why does He promise this? What must we do to receive these wonders?

Well, the first thing is that we love Him. That's the first phrase of the verse. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your might . . . if we love Him, we will keep His commandments . . . all of those verses come to mind.

But I'd like to focus on the last portion of the verse. One translation says "he has known My name." And the other says "he acknowledges My name."

Hmmmmm.
This is what came to my mind.
I'm an old movie buff. I had a mental picture of a man, the main character of the movie, nattily dressed in a suit and fedora. He knows the name of the person he's passing on the city sidewalk, so he raises his hand in a casual gesture and touches the rim of his hat. No stopping to chat. No real engagement. He knows the person. Knows his name.

I also had a mental picture of a similar movie character, who couldn't be bothered even with a hand gesture. He "acknowledges" the presence of the person he knows with a quick, curt, nod of the head.

I don't think this is what the Psalmist has in mind, do you? (Grin)
I think the Psalmist must have had the latest dictionary of the day open at his side. The Merriam Webster of his day. Because when I search Merriam Webster now on my computer, I get some in-depth concepts for the word "acknowledge."

I believe that the Psalmist would have agreed with the three concepts I see on my screen. . . .
First, to acknowledge God's name means to "recognize the rights, authority, or status of" His claim on our lives as a holy God.
For the Lord of hosts has planned, and who can frustrate it? And as for His stretched-out hand, who can turn it back?” (Isaiah 14:27)
On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? 21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? (Romans 9:20-21)
Second, Merriam Webster tells us that "acknowledge" means "to disclose knowledge of or agreement with." In order for us to acknowledge God, we must agree with Him about our sins.  The scholars say in I John, the word "confess" carries with it not just our speaking our sins and asking for forgiveness, but also the concept of agreeing with God about our sinfulness:
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9)
Lastly, the dictionary tells us that "acknowledge" also means to "express gratitude or obligation for." Certainly after we have heart knowledge of God's authority, and we agree with Him about our sins, we will want to express gratitude for His saving grace!
But I will sacrifice to YouWith the voice of thanksgiving.That which I have vowed I will pay.Salvation is from the Lord.” (Jonah 2:9)
O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;For His lovingkindness is everlasting. (I Chronicles 16:34)
but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (I Corinthians 15:57)
I hope that if a verse or a passage has blessed you recently, that you will leave a comment and share!


1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.