Monday, September 7, 2020

I'm so tired!

 

It's ironic that I was going to jump over to another psalm for this week. . . . the Spirit told me to read and receive a blessing from Psalm 6. So I paused, and then I re-read it. And then I read it yet again. And I want to share with all of you.

As believers, there are times in our lives when we are struggling. We get tired. Life can be overwhelming! We get drained physically. We get exhausted emotionally. And we run "dry" spiritually. It gets hard to pick ourselves back up. Psalm 6 shows us that this happened to David, too.

Seriously? 

Some rich king, living in a palace, surrounded by peeps who love him, and clothed and fed well? 

Yup.

Ready to dive in?
This psalm is one of a group of seven songs that are known as "penitential" psalms. (Psalms 6, 32, 38, 51, 102, 130, and 143) If we are penitent, we are "feeling or showing sorrow and regret for having done wrong; to be repentant."
Ahhh, the light dawns . . . this could have been written after his sin with Bathsheba. After that sin, God disciplined David by taking the life of his newborn child. Or maybe it was penned after David disobeyed God's command not to number the people. After that sin, God disciplined him by sending a plague for three days, killing many of the people.
Yes, David was a man after God's own heart. No, he was not perfect - not saying that. We can see sin in his life, and that may explain how he could be feeling spiritually, emotionally, and physically tired all at the same time.

The encouraging thing here is that David shows us that it's not hopeless when we feel that way. He reminds us that it is possible to move forward, and to get the rest we need. He instructs us to look to our great God to bring us through. 

Lord, rebuke me not in your anger,
    nor discipline me in your wrath.
 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am languishing;
    heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled.

My soul also is greatly troubled.

    But you, O Lord—how long?

 Turn, O Lord, deliver my life;
    save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
 For in death there is no remembrance of you;
    in Sheol who will give you praise?

 I am weary with my moaning;
    every night I flood my bed with tears;
    I drench my couch with my weeping.
 My eye wastes away because of grief;
    it grows weak because of all my foes.

 Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
    for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
 The Lord has heard my plea;
    the Lord accepts my prayer.
 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
    they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment. (Psalm 6, ESV)

Are we tired? 

We can find rest.

 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29, KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.