Friday, May 20, 2022

Leave the pity-party behind, conclusion


Asaph ends his psalm by recovering his perspective; he is looking at things "the right way" now, the way that God would have us view things.

He realized that God is truly good to His people - and even more importantly, he realized that God had been with him through the whole ordeal. 

Yet I am always with you;
    you hold me by my right hand. (v. 23)

Like many of us have realized when we come through a long and difficult trial, it's not because we had a strong grip on God, but because He had a strong grip on us!

Asaph is comforted by the fact that God will counsel and guide him and then receive him into glory - this is a precious promise for us, as well!

You guide me with your counsel,
    and afterward you will take me into glory. (v 24)

The remainder of the psalm is almost too wonderful for words:

Whom have I in heaven but you?

    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

 My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart
    and my portion forever.     you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God.
    I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;
    I will tell of all your deeds. (v 25- 28)

Those who are far from you will perish;

Asaph is telling us that he now knows God is his chief treasure. He says he sees that God Himself is enough. He is the treasure - of course, He gives us so many blessings, but He is the main blessing. If we can say with Asaph that He is the strength of our heart and our portion forever, we have it all!

If we are struggling with whether or not God is "fair," perhaps He is not our best and brightest treasure - far above earthly prosperity. The blessings of the godly are eternal; it's our trials that are short! 

Lord, help me to honestly say, "Besides You, I desire nothing."

As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; (Psalm 42:1-2a)


1 comment:

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.