Thursday, April 19, 2012

Proverbs 20:8 Throne of Judgment

Pro 20:8  A king that sitteth in the throne of judgment scattereth away all evil with his eyes.


Matthew Henry notes that this verse describes a good king --- one that sits upon his throne, but not as a throne of honor, where he will be deferred to, and rest easy, and men will make homage to him.
Instead he sits upon his throne and does the work of a ruler: he doles out justice and mercy. He makes war upon his enemies. He makes things right for those who have been injured or harmed.  He punishes those who have done wrong.  He does not delegate matters to others, but is responsible for all of his kingly duties.
Henry says, " He makes his business his delight..."   Surely this is an apt description of a good and wise king.

Is it not also an accurate description of the King of all creation? He metes out judgment to the sinners, but showers mercy to those who claim His promise of salvation. He punishes those who have willfully erred, but gives sweet comfort to those who have been hurt or afflicted.
Jer 9:24  But let the one who boasts, boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight." declares the Lord.
And we have access to this King . . . just check out Hebrews 4:16:
        Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Even more wonderful is this promise --- we can approach Him not just as a King, but as our Father:
         I John 3:1 "See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.
Lastly, as one of His children, I have great responsibility:
          Matthew 5:16 "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
That is always my prayer --- that my light would shine for Him.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I hope I shine for Him. I know that sometimes I fail. It's an ongoing process. Thankfully, we have a loving, just and forgiving King!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the first for today the first thing that came to my mind was "the Look" that a parent would give a child when they were misbehaving. They didn't have to say a word but you knew you better stop.
    I am glad that my God loves me and that I can go to Him. I also pray that my light would shine for Him.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.