Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Verses that inspire



All of the seventeenth chapter of John's gospel is amazing to read, but recently I re-read it and these verses spoke to me:
I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them,for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.  (John 17:11-15)
Jesus was praying not only for His disciples, but in verse 20, He makes it clear that He is praying for us, too!
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one,Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. (v 20-21)
And check out verse 24, also:
“Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am,and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world."
What precious promises! When we are weak, and we don't even know what to pray for, Jesus is praying for us!
He prays that we will be kept from sin....in this wicked world, Jesus knows that we can get awfully muddy just from stuff splashing on us. He prays that we won't be overcome by the evil.
Then, (verse 17) He prays that we will continue to progress in our journey to be holy, as He is holy.
And lastly, He prays that we will be where He is.... I don't believe that Jesus will be content until all of us are in His mighty arms.

What a comfort to know that He continues to pray in heaven. And to realize that even when Satan is tempting us, Jesus is praying for us!

Have you been comforted, inspired, or convicted by a verse or passage from the Word? Share it with us, so that all of us may learn!

2 comments:

  1. This is a comforting verse for those of us living in these crazy chaotic times.

    9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

    Col. 2:9-10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding us of that precious promise, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.