Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Transforming power of the Bible, part II

(Photo courtesy of Aaron Burden on Unsplash)

Yesterday, we mentioned the transforming power of the Bible. This may be the most compelling reason for believing the it is God's book. The message that it teaches about God is powerful and can change lives.
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12, NIV)
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  (II Corinthians 5:17, NKJV)
The message of the Bible, and the truths recorded there, have the power to change lives.
I guess the best examples of this from the Bible itself is in the life of our buddy, Peter. As Jesus was questioned and accused in a mock trial, and as He was beaten and prepared for the crucifixion, Peter was incapacitated by fear. He denied His Lord three times. He rushed from the courtyard, sobbing, after Jesus' eyes met his own.
Less than fifty days later, Peter was standing at the temple in Jerusalem -- he was loudly proclaiming to the crowd that gathered that even though they'd killed Jesus, the Christ, that He was alive and He wanted to offer them life. What could have made such a transformation in Peter?
It was the message that Jesus gave to him. By the shore, Jesus told Peter that He recognized his failure and sin, but that He had forgiven Peter that sin. He told Him that He loved him in spite of how much he had hurt Him, and that He wanted to restore Peter to a close fellowship -- and use him to help in accomplishing His mission here on earth. To put it precisely, Jesus gave Peter a message of forgiveness, love, acceptance, and purpose. What a powerful message that is!
Have we experienced that message?
Have our lives been changed? That is what happens when we experience this message personally. This world responds to sin, disloyalty, wrongs, and insults with anger, retaliation, and revenge. Jesus' message is just the opposite: forgiveness, peace, love, and mercy. And a new purpose in life!
That's powerful!
That's transforming!
There are many people all around us, in all walks of life, who have experienced this transformation.

A prisoner serving a 365-year sentence for murder was given a New Testament and Psalms by another inmate. One night in his cell, he picked it up after ignoring it for some time. He began reading Psalm 34, and when he reached verse 6, it melted his heart.
“this poor man cried and the Lord heard him, and saved him from all his troubles.” David remembers that night well and later wrote, “It was at that moment, in 1987, that I began to pour out my heart to God. Everything seemed to hit me at once. The guilt from what I did... the disgust at what I had become... late that night in my cold cell, I got down on my knees and I began to cry to Jesus Christ. I told Him that I was sick and tired of doing evil. I asked Jesus to forgive me for all my sins. I spent a good while on my knees praying to Him. When I got up it felt as if a very heavy but invisible chain that had been around me for so many years was broken. A peace flooded over me. I did not understand what was happening. But in my heart I just knew that my life, somehow, was going to be different.” 
That is the testimony of David Berkowitz, a.k.a. The Son of Sam, who now leads Bible studies in the prison and wrote to the governor to say, "Don't give me a parole, I don't deserve it." He says the Lord has placed him in the prison so that he can reach more for Him.
When I was a teen, the story of violent New York City gang leader Nicky Cruz was inspiring to many, as he told how his life was miraculously transformed by Christ - he participated in many crusades, reaching others for Jesus.
Former star athlete Charles "Tex" Watson was headed for greatness until he got into drug abuse and murder. Not until he found God's mercy was his life powerfully changed.
Actor Kirk Cameron had everything that many people dream about: fame, money, looks, and success. None of that compared to the joy he later found in knowing Christ, being forgiven, and being in a right relationship with God. He now is known for his work in Christian ministries.

These were people who, like  Peter, had lost their way.

Jesus Christ's message to them of forgiveness, love, and a new purpose in life was a transforming message! This week we will conclude our studies of the inspired Bible by looking at how it's power works in our lives to transform us, and to begin changing us to be more like Him.

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful. I literally hung on every word. I could read this all day had it gone on long enough to do so. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about Berkowitz! What an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments pertaining to our study; rude comments will be deleted, as will links for advertising purposes.